ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#118817 10/30/04 05:00 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
(submitted via Joe Tedesco)
here's one that really concerned myself and my partner. This guy had cut the end off a 50' extension cord and attached it to a chain link fence by wrapping the wires around the bottom of the fence and covering the cord and connection to the fence with dry leaves. The photo is not very clear, but I think you can make it out. This was to keep his dogs in the yard.

Brian M Richardson
Deputy Building Commissioner
City Of Shelbyville
[Linked Image]

#118818 10/31/04 06:26 AM
I
Lucky he did not kill neighborhood kids.

What a stupid ignorant $*(*&^%#!

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#118819 10/31/04 08:58 AM
Bob, there is a difference between stupid and ignorant. I am ignorant of a lot of subjects but I suspect he is indeed both. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
#118820 10/31/04 09:33 AM
I
Point taken. [Linked Image]

What a stupid and ignorant $*(*&^%#!

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#118821 10/31/04 12:57 PM
S
I honestly can't see how that would work....

IF that dude plugged the other end of the extension cord into a light socket, it would have made a nice show of fireworks!

#118822 10/31/04 01:05 PM
I
Sven nice to see you around again.

As long as the fence is only in contact with the earth it would be very easy for this to liven it up to 120 volts and there would be no sparks.

Walk up to it and touch and get a good blast, the worst place to touch this fence would be right in the center of the span between two of the fence posts.

If you stand right at a fence post you will be closer to the same potential as the fence but not quite the same.

That is is you did not get a shock form one foot to the other as you walked up to the fence post.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#118823 10/31/04 02:33 PM
Are there any charges being filed ??

Much the same type of setup was the cause of

THIS

What isn't mentioned in this particular article is that the "fence" was actually a wire strung intentionally around the pool by a caretaker, who ran it to house current.
It was put in to stop the dogs from peeing in the pool.
The son fell into the pool after hitting the wire. His father, arriving later, saw him face down, jumped in, and was electrocuted.
A third family member was injured badly when he tried to retrieve the other 2, but was saved when his wife pulled the wire out of the pool with a rubber sandal.

A real tragedy

Sometimes stupidity and ignorance should be rewarded with prison time [Linked Image]

#118824 11/01/04 09:41 PM
J
It's not even a very effective fence- ever notice how the commercial models change the voltage and frequency, as well as limit the amps?

#118825 11/04/04 11:39 AM
C
I don’t understand this (besides it being stupid). It looks like the hot is connected to the fence, and the other conductors are cut off. If you plugged this in, wouldn’t the breaker trip? If the neutral were connected as well (not sure), I would think the breaker would trip immediately. If someone touched the fence (let’s say in bare feet), don’t you think the human would have a higher resistance than the fence’s connection to ground, and not get shocked?

While we’re on the subject of stupidity, I had an idea for keeping intruders off of my suspended deck, but not sure if it would work. If I ran a conductor around the base of my deck, suspended from insolated poles, and connected it to one of those electronic fences for dogs, would an intruder who climbs the deck and touches the wire get zapped? Keep in mind he would be standing on the wooden deck- I can’t see how he would be grounded to complete the circuit. What am I missing?

#118826 11/04/04 05:01 PM
P
If you plugged this in, wouldn’t the breaker trip?
Not unless the resistance to ground through the fence is low enough to result in a high enough current, and that's very unlikely (unless the breaker was a GFI type).

If someone touched the fence (let’s say in bare feet), don’t you think the human would have a higher resistance than the fence’s connection to ground, and not get shocked?
Both the resistance of the fence to ground and the resistance of the person to ground will both be much higher than the source impedance of supply.

Even if the resistance to ground on the fence was low enough to result in several amps of fault current, the fence would still be at 120V to ground, so the person would still be shocked.

Link Copied to Clipboard