ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#11875 07/26/02 08:01 PM
'Lighter' Subject ahead (I hope [Linked Image] )

What is everyone's idea of a Vacation?
Where/What/and for how long?

I was the type that would work and send the Family away many times. I've regretted that. I've got a totally different viewpoint now, after many plan changes and missed vacations for people who didn't appreciate it and made you chase them for money anyway. Now I will take the time and things will work out somehow.

I like spending some time in Fla in the Winter-time and it doesn't matter what I do there. Been doing a week in the summer in NC, but this year it's Pocanoes. A couple of long weekends sprinkled here and there in NH and that's my prescription for relieving pressure.

What's yours?

How about you people that travel all the time? Does Vacation mean going Home?

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-26-2002).]

Bill
#11876 07/26/02 08:29 PM
R
Bill, life is short. Spend time with the family.

My Grandmother will be 102 this year and still lives by herself. She mowed her yard untill she was 84. ( another plus for the ladies) I save some vacation time to go to her birthday party each year. (remarkable woman in many ways)

I'll tell you what vacation means to me later.

On your last question, I've always wondered what Bill Dance and other fishing show host do on their time off. (maybe dig a ditch or do some wiring) [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 07-26-2002).]

#11877 07/26/02 08:49 PM
E
Bill I'm with you. I'm trying to change, but it's hard. I went several years without more than 2 days off in a row and many weeks in a row without even 1 day off. Now, I usually only work 5 days, but I pack 12-14 hours of work into each leaving me without much of a social life. I keep hiring guys to do some of my work, but old customers want to see me, so I have to make an appearance at most jobs every day.

Back to the original question. I go to Las Vegas [Linked Image] at least once a year for 4 days and I take a few 3 or 4 days weekends scattered here and there. It is nearly impossible to take a full week off, but I'm working on it.

#11878 07/26/02 10:13 PM
J
well, I have learned something from the old timers and my dad you can never spend to much time with your family. Every older guy i know says " I wish i had spent more time with my Kids", believe me they grow fast, i have 4 the oldest is 9 and youngest is my little princess 1 and half, me and the wife go some were for a long weekend once a year either the lake or a nascar or outlaw sprint race and get a nice romantic cabin, as for the kids we go camping alot every summer, we just got back from a 4 day camping trip at lake erie.

an old man i once knew told me something that says it all, He said you know what happens while your making all your big plans life passes you by, get out and enjoy yourself and family once the kids are grown you cant get that time back, and if you didn't enjoy yourself and family then what was it all for.

Like my boss says How many people do you know that are on there death bed that say they wish they would have worked more.

sorry so much type, spend time with your family, the kids dont want money they want YOU!!!!

#11879 07/26/02 10:23 PM
W
Vacations! That's one of the reasons I work so I can afford to take them. They seem to give me a major attitude adjustment. Still send the family away once in a while but I try and go with them most of the time.

Idea of Vacation = anywhere but home and without the tools or computer. (The phone is O.K. if you press mute no one can here the blender going) [Linked Image]

Where & What = Vegas Come on BOX CARS!!
Or Idaho & Wyoming during hunting season a new one for me (I am now on a quest Can anyone teach me to shoot straight?)
Mexico is also great caught me a marlin last year in Cabo San Lucas. A cruise to Mexico is also a lot of Fun. Used to do some skiing in the winter but that has become too painful on the knees and ankles.

How Long = We try and do at least 1 7 to 10 day trip per year and as many 3 or 4 day trips on long holiday weekends as possible. Some with the kids some without. During Hunting the wife and kids go to visit family.

My new kind of vacation is slowly becoming a spectator of youth sporting events and tournaments. What happened to 1 or 2 games a week?

Wirewiz

#11880 07/26/02 10:32 PM
A
For me there are two types of vacation. One I take with my wife every year, usually in the fall.

The other is when an excavating contractor cuts the trunkline feeding the southern linc (nextel) two way radio exchange. Had it happen twice in the last couple of years and man it was nice. So quiet and peaceful!

#11881 07/27/02 02:45 AM
M
Since I am lucky enough to have lived and contracted in Hawaii since 1978 what I usually do is stay home and go surfing for vacation. This year however am taking the family to South Cal for 2 weeks.

#11882 07/27/02 06:29 AM
F
Just getting away from the daily responsibilities and obligations is nice. Our children are grown now, my daughter has been married for six years. My wife and I have gone to Virginia Beach the last several years.
It's easier to put things in the proper perspective while on vacation.

#11883 07/27/02 07:42 AM
S
I just got back from a trip to the Adirondacks, not having a utility pole in sight was great.

Watching my boy haul up a big bullhead was priceless, worth any missed job.......
(... an event of loch-ness appeal..)
[Linked Image]

I think it's easy to get burnt out, without ever realizing it happening. If your work performance/ethic/approach declines, who's going to tell you so?

Take the time....

#11884 07/27/02 09:08 AM
W
Three years ago we bought a 22' motorhome. By far it is the best money we ever spent. Our favorite places are National Forest campgrounds, especially in the Rocky Mountains. Our kids (19 and 15) vote Yellowstone National Park as their favorite. This is one big, beautiful country!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard