ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
The traditional British electric kettle, seen here in a 1960's advertisement:

[Linked Image]

A current production version of the traditional-style kettle:

[Linked Image from argos.co.uk]

And a modern "jug-style" kettle of the type which has become very common in recent years:

[Linked Image from argos.co.uk]

Here all this time I thought you guy's just drank tea.
Well, making tea is probably the most common use of the kettle, hence the fact that no British kitchen is complete without one! As a coffee drinker, my kettle is very under-used compared to most here! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-06-2004).]

The Federal breakers with the 'on is down' set-up is also here in Australia. I only saw my first set of these about three weeks ago when I was installing smoke detectors & had to drop the power off for the lighting circuit. Bit of a trap if you aren't expecting the brekers to be backwards compared to other manufacturers'.
The cracking around the two switch mechanisms for the bedside light & radio are caused by the faceplates being done up too tightly.More of a cosmetic thing (no chance of the mechanisms coming out the front of the plate).
Are the shaver outlet & the heater switch PDL brand fittings?. PDL gear is starting to appear over here more often in new instalations.
Another thing I have come across in motels is the use of power outlets with round earth pins on the fridge & clock outlets (all other outlets are normal 3 pin flat outlets controlled by the keytag switch to save energy). Bit of a pain if you want to leave something on in your room & take the keys out of the switch.

U
By the way, I only noticed that emery board and the hair salon card on the bedside table when I went to edit these pictures, I have no idea how they got there, the key is mine though.

Yeah...yeah... [Linked Image] Spooky indeed! [Linked Image] Worried the wife reads yer posts???

LOL. Good pics tho, what a set-up!

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Just for grins I did a Google on Electric Kettles in the UK. What a different world it would be to have 20A/240V convenience outlets in the kitchen. They make these kettles in a 3000 watt version! I guess it must heat your tea water in a heart beat.

P
In the interests of science (who am I kidding? [Linked Image]) I just filled my jug-style kettle to the maximum mark and timed it.

Starting from cold, with exactly 3 Imperial pints of water (that's 3.6 U.S. pints) it took 5 mins. 25 secs. to boil and switch off.

That's with a 2.2kW element. I didn't bother to measure the starting water temperature, but apparently across England it comes out the underground pipes at a fairly constant 50 degrees.

If that's the case, and using rough figures, I make that about 85 - 90% efficiency.

By my reckoning, a 3kW version running at similar efficiency would have taken just a shade over 4 minutes.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-07-2004).]

B

Paul — I want one of those “12-volt Car Kettles.” {And we all thought cell phones were distracting…}

[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

S
Bjarney, I've seen those 12 volt kettles at Truckstop America truckstops. Not only that but 12-volt DC ovens, stoves, refrigerators, frying pans, etc. etc.

C
Cuz it's on a 20VA isolation transformer.
What does va mean ? is it equal to amp or watt? and whats an isolationn transformer?

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
S
VA = Volt Amp. Watts = Volt x Amperes, so picture it this way (Volt)(Amp) gives you (V)(A). Now remove the parenthesis and you have VA. Another term for Watt.

Isolation transformer means the primary and secondary coils are electrically isolated from each other.

There are some transformers where the primary and secondary share a common connection.

Trumpy Offline OP
Yes Sven and there are different ideas on using them too.
Commonly called an Auto-Transformer down here in the Antipodes.
The nasty thing about these Tranny's is, is that if they are used to lower the secondary voltage too far, there becomes a problem of Over-Voltage should the Primary and Secondary short together.
For that reason, Under the NZ Electrical Regs, the A-Transformer is not allowed to effect a voltage variation greater than 10%.
Apart from in Distribution applications, meaning lines work, Overhead or Underground

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard