ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 530 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Cuz it's on a 20VA isolation transformer.

OK, so I _can_ plug in my cheapo Chinese mains-operated transistorradio so I can listen to music while I wash up!!! [Linked Image]

Add to the fact that it uses a two flat-pin plug, and we're in business...

P
Those upside-down breakers do look funny. In fact at first glance I thought you'd turned them all off to take the photo, and was wondering why!

Contrary to our usual practice of light switches being down for on, circuit-breakers are most always up for on here. The only exceptions I've ever seen are the old-style main earth-leakage breakers intended for domestic use up to about the 1960s, which used up for off.

They sure like hard-wired appliances there, don't they? [Linked Image]

Trumpy Offline OP
Hi there Guys,
Sorry I haven't responded earlier, but it's hard to use a computer that has no HDD. [Linked Image]
Andy, I think everything was hard-wired in here because of the theft factor, but then again I suppose it also prevents kids from poking things into sockets, which removes a certain amount of liability on the part of the moteliers.
Having said that, the TV actually did have a plug on it, now, which would you sooner steal, the bedside lamp or the TV?. [Linked Image]
Kent, BTW, that's my house key for at home here. [Linked Image]
Where do you plug in the hot plate?
No need to bring anything like that to these flash digs, WiseOwl, the unit features it's own Free-standing range!.
I was wondering about them breakers myself, there does seem to be a lot of them for such a small unit, but it has it's own Hot Water cylinder, an electric fan heater, a range.
BTW, the Residual Current Device pictured, is actually called an RCBO, meaning that it has a Thermal/Magnetic trip mechanism in it as well, like a normal CB.
Electure, The Breakers are Federal branded, but just above the actual Federal marking on the breakers you can just make out a small 'N', this stands for Nilsen, I'm not sure how these 2 companies became associated.
Paul, These breakers do look a little wierd withe the toggles pointing downward in the on position, as all our other brands of breakers over here, point upward in the on position.

Trumpy Offline OP
Sorry, I missed these bits.
OK, so I _can_ plug in my cheapo Chinese mains-operated transistorradio so I can listen to music while I wash up!!!
Would a US razor have a ground pin on the plug?.
Ours have one, but only a 2 Core curly flex.
I suppose it saves us plugging into the wrong voltage on these sockets, though.
A 110V shave probably wouldn't be the most comfortable experience!. [Linked Image]
OK, discounting the emery board and card, did you have to drag a trailer behind your car to carry all of your reading material?
Actually Scott, this was not the course that I was led to believe it was, I thought we'd be learning "real" things like Fire-ground control and other important such things.
But no, this was an exercise in "Team-building" and yes, I nearly had to hire a truck to bring all the written material home after that one. [Linked Image]
Mind you, who pulls a set of books out while some guys house is on fire?. [Linked Image]
Kent,
There were 2 sockets in the kitchen, one for the underbench fridge and another single point to plug the supplied electric kettle from.
I must say, the coffee in this place was amazing, I drank the place dry!. (Of coffee I mean).
By the way, am I using the correct term here, as in Bathroom?, I know that you guys in the US use the term for a Toilet room don't you?. [Linked Image]

P
Would a US razor have a ground pin on the plug?.
No. Neither do British shavers with their round-pin plugs.

Ours have one, but only a 2 Core curly flex.
Why? [Linked Image] I know Aus/NZ plugs come in 2-pin versions with no ground pin as I've seen them, and it's not like the British 13A plug where the ground pin is needed to open the shutter mechanism. I can't see any advantage to using a 3-pin plug.

Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
On any Aus/NZ plug the Neutral pin actually opens the access to the Phase and Neutral contacts on a socket here.

S
Hi Trumpy,

All the shavers and hair-clippers I've seen sold in the Western hemisphere (110-volt countries) use two-wire flex with a two pin plug.

Some of them use wall-warts (AC/DC adapters) instead of regular power cords.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Trumpy, couple things.
In the states we use the term bathroom unless the room just had a toilet in it...then we might call it a toilet room.
OK, just what is an electric kettle????? Is it an electric perculator coffee pot? Here all this time I thought you guy's just drank tea. [Linked Image]

S
Electric kettle is an electric teapot.

A kettle, with a heating element at the bottom...you use it to simply boil water.

Trumpy Offline OP
Great Call Sven,
I couldn't have said it any better!. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard