ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#118438 09/14/04 03:06 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Here is a batch I took last week on a walk over the bridge from Cambridge to Boston. I am not calling out any NEC items because there are none here, but would like to hear what the NESC or utility people would have to say about these, especially the closeness to the rail.

- Joe Tedesco
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Joe, these pictures may not be as bad as they look. Generally the NESC requires 7.5' to 10' of horizontal clearance. In this case, the electric utility used Hendricks Cable System for the primary conductors. The Hendricks cable is fully insulated for trees and areas like this where clearances can't be met any other way. I suspect the transformer bank has more clearance than the pictures indicate. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
B

Based on transformer sidemount primary-bushing and arrestor sizes, a guess is it’s “tree” or “covered”-wire (versus insulated) spans at 4kV.

Zero effort has been made to cover taps, splices and terminations. This seems at best ‘on the edge’ for utility distribution. [hendrix-wc.com]

N
I have wondered the same thing last time I was heading to Lechmere, but as I recall, those lines aren't as close as the pictures make them seem.

E
e57 Offline
Hi gents, I used play on those tracks as a kid, I think? I recognize the Cambridge Courthouse Building in pic #1 at the far right. Is this on 28 (O'brian)? Looks like the bridge to Everett/C-Town? (Been a long time.) If kids in that area are anything like some of the ones I grew up with, they didn't use isulated for trees, they did it to keep people from thowing pieces of pipe on them for fun!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
e57 Offline
Can't remember what the name of that road (Causeway) is? Are the Edison Stacks to the left behind you here in Pic #1?

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-15-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
If that's a new pole being installed in pics 3 & 4, when it's finished, you'll be able to do chin-ups on the crossbeam. [Linked Image]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Y
What is the OSHA clearance, 10' to conductors >10kV? Something like that.

I remember a 3rd floor balcony with primary within arms reach (not that I tried proving it or anything).

I've seen stuff like this lots of times and it never ceases to amaze me. I don't pretend to have any knowledge of the NESC but 3-4' from a balcony?

Y
Oh, yeah, and I remember the POCO manual in that area said, "Do not mistake the covering that may be observed on our wires for insulation. Any contact with our wires can kill you."

The primary that was 3-4' from the balcony had a black covering on it that looked not too different from 600V insulation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard