ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#118032 07/30/04 06:15 PM
U
LMAO!!

Ya just wouldn't credit it huh!

I've never used anyone to 'help' that I didn't already know...and now I see why! [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#118033 07/31/04 11:16 AM
D
Used to work for a small company that hired guys from a labor company when we needed extra people.

Those guys would do strange stuff.

One time the boss told me to have them put in the 2X4 troffer lights on a saturday. They tried to put them in upside down. As in the light bulbs would be lighting up above the drop ceiling.

I ended up having the labors just carry the lights and have the apprentince install them.

#118034 08/03/04 10:34 PM
D
I really appreciate threads like this.

I like to work alone with a little occasional help from whoever is around (for things like difficult wire pulls).

Dave

#118035 08/03/04 11:02 PM
N
I have used those temps and have usually had good luck with them. Some do not last very long but most are alright. I have kept a few of thier phone numbers to call if they are availble. You just have to make sure the temp agency is not trying to blow smoke. I tell the temp agency that if they send me a so called journey man who cannot do a journeymans work, I will not pay for him. Most of those types will show you what they can do in about an hour. If they cannot do the work or do not want to work, just send them back.
90% of the ones sent back were never journeymen and the agency was trying to get journeymans pay for 1st or 2nd year apprentices or in one case a green as grass 17year old.

ed
#118036 08/15/04 01:33 AM
J
First of all, I spent years working as a "temp." I put myself through the apprenticeship, bought my tools, etc. When I made the jump from "temp" to working for an electrical contractor, I was harassed by other temps- until the contractor stood up for me, and my desire to do something with my life!

That said, as an electrical contractor I am damn choosey as to who I will consider, and for which tasks. Temps are great with shovels, and helpful for pulling wires. For almost anything else, I want someone who cares, has some background, and some committment to his future.
I will admit that unions are quite valuable in controlling the use of casual, untrained, unqualified persons on the larger jobs.
I had one general contractor send me someone to help me troubleshoot- someone who spoke no english! The general thought it perfectly reasonable for me to work with someone who was likely to confuse "open the switch"(turn it 'off") with "open the light" (turn it 'on').

Working as a temp, you quickly find that many of your "employers" are cheap bastards who cut corners, expect you to subsidize them, and consider you disposable. After one guy got hurt- and the OSHA guy noticed the blood still on the floor- we were told to not bleed on the floor! (He was serious, and I'm not making this up!)

The use of temps, like the lack of trash cans or toilets, is a real indication that maybe the contractor doesn't know how to run his business.

Electrical work, perhaps more than any other trade, requires constant judgement calls- something you're not going to get from some guy you found along the roadside!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard