ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#117840 07/10/04 10:31 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Got a call to sporadic power at one of the snack buildings at (on) a local beach... I wasn't too sure where to start at first, but then I thought I'd never stop finding things! The pics speak for themselves... (BTW, this building is owned by the state of CA & leased out!)

-Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

N
In pic # 6 does the POCO require the test bypass on non residential metering? Perhaps the services of a demolition contractor are in order for this mess.

P.S. The reason I asked about the test bypass is PG&E does require it and wondered if it was a statewide requirement.

Norcal...
I'm pretty sure it is a requirement in So Cal Edison, SDG&E & LADWP areas... Judging from the installations I've seen, they all seem to have test bypass links of one sort or another... I always thought they were just standard everywhere...

-Randy

D
[smartass] I can understand why this would never pass California inspection... Like omigawd, didja see the two colors of the wires together? they like totally clash - no coordination at all![/smartass]

Randy - I repeat my earlier sentiments ... you are truly a "stuff" magnet! [Linked Image]

Great pics as always - and a lack of a catastrophe is further evidence that there must be someone up there watching over us!

M
Damn! What caused the recept and plug to melt like that? [Linked Image] [Linked Image] Loose screw terminal?

I wonder where the State inspector that I've had on other State jobs was during this construction??
BTW, this is fairly new if it's the building I'm thinking of.

The City of HB doesn't allow GRC or EMT outdoors without additional corrosion protection.
PVC 80 is the preferred method....Check out pic #5 and you'll see why!

But then, these guys answered to a "higher" authority. [Linked Image]

Yes, the bypass is required on commercial services. It just didn't get tightened down all the way, out of the ordinary for the normally thorough SCE people.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 07-12-2004).]

Matt E. , loose terminal or a poor connection between the contacts of the outlet & the prongs on the plug... The outlet didn't appear that old, (Leviton's low end spec grade, N5-20) It is connected to stranded wire on the screw terminals... maybe not enough surface contact for the load (commercial freezer)

Scott, the snack bar is in Huntington State Beach lot... (@ Magnolia St)If I remember right, these things cant be more than about 10-15 years old...
I never would've considered EMT out here, all of 200-300' from the ocean itself! Notice in the pic of the crumb ling EMT, it was the EGC also! [Linked Image] The switch connected to it is missing its WP cover also. The bypass lug might've been tightened & the corrosion (which doesnt show very well in the pic) may have something to do with it's failure..

-Randy

Link Copied to Clipboard