ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 529 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Sparky;
You do have a point. some customers do want to know this and that.

Sometimes two much info can cause more confusion than what it is worth.

I agree if they ask, give them a prudent answere. I just don't feel that you should get too extreme.
thanks for the input Sparky.
Wayne

S
In refrence to the consumer I think its a great idea if they are educated about electrical safety, code, etc. Alot of time is spent on estimates, where you can talk for a while about violations and the code to the people and they look at us and sratch their heads. They think were telling a story, just to get the job. On the other hand someone who knows a little about the trade is interested in how to do the job safely, and what measures are we going to take to go that route. So I say , lets continue to talk the code to the people and it'll sink in. There are mechanical people out there and there are some who don't have a screwdriver in the house. Alot of people do not know the dangers with electricity.
Good topic
STEVE THOMPSON

S
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redsy:
[b]I think, in general the more that you explain to a residential customer, the better. I believe that it will often cinch the job for you in a close estimate. I recently quoted a 120 volt landscape lighting job, and clearly stated on the estimate that the cable would GFCI protected and be buried 12" AS REQUIRED. I also verbally discussed the safety and potential repair issues involved. This was a fairly pricey job for landscape lighting, but I feel that anyone else bidding it would now be forced the meet burial requirements if they wanted the work. (BTW, I got the job.)

Bravo Zulu....It's good to see someone bid the job right, and get it based on good quality, and safety......... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SlamTex (edited 05-08-2001).]

S
I believe that the customer should know as much information as possible. It is always better for them to know everything about the job (explained in terms that they understand).
The problem comes into play when a customer thinks he knows more than you do. To me, these are the customers to avoid because no matter how you do the job, he won't like it, or he won't think it was done correctly. Thus, the old saying, "He knows just enough to be dangerous".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard