ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 247 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#117680 07/04/04 09:37 AM
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
[Linked Image]

Even though it's not very apparent in this Image, the Pole is leaning to the Right-Hand side by at least 5° off plumb. May be more like 10°, but not sure (no Protractor at the time [Linked Image]...).

I would figure the heavy load of these Transformers would be a "Tower Of Pisa" cause, but not all the "Tilters" in the area have Pots on them.
BTW, the configuration of Xformers shown here is Delta / Delta, with two 75 KVA pots on the "outsides", and a 100 KVA pot in the middle.

Others in the area with Pole mounted Transformers on them are near 90°.

Have seen many Poles leaning; some not so much, others could be noticed by Mr. Magoo during a Solar Eclipse.

Just wondering a few things - which I am hoping someone familiar with Linework Design/Engineering can shed light on:

<OL TYPE=1>

[*] When is it considered "Leaning Too Much" ,

[*] Was the Pole set up with the leaning situation known,

[*] What is the main cause of the "Lean Phenomina",

[*] Does anyone else notice this stuff besides me.
</OL>

Also noticed some newly installed Transmission / Distribution Poles (one 66 KV circuit on top, two 12 KV circuits below), which had considerable tilt - only these were "tilting forward", not to the side.
They are unguyed, and all Conductors have been pulled in plus landed to the Insulators.

Pass by the above mentioned Poles, and see the Leaning Pole of Pisa every day (Monday thru Saturday) since the first week of May 2004.
Been working at the same large Commercial Complex since then, and should be there for another Month or two - as we have landed a few more large T.I. projects at this site.

Great people to work with,
Close to Home (apx. 12 miles one direction),
Lots to do,
Doing installations + As Builts ... And Getting Paid!
...YAHOO!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Scott Thompson (Scott 35)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#117681 07/04/04 09:49 AM
I
Does anyone else notice this stuff besides me.

You are not alone, I notice anything out of square, plumb, level etc.

I will go out on a limb here and say from my obsessive observations that the primary cause of 'leaning pole syndrome' or LPS [Linked Image] is the lack of proper guys or incorrect wire tension.

A great book that I used to have was the "American Lineman's Handbook" it showed proper techniques for guying.

The books position was any change in the direction of the conductors no matter how slight required a guy wire to oppose that force.

As far as the large pots it is kind of scary how much is hanging up there sometimes.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#117682 07/04/04 12:36 PM
P
I drove by a pole the other day that makes that one look straight. I was going to take a picture and thought no one would be interested. I will try and remember where it is and send the picture [Linked Image]

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#117683 07/04/04 01:27 PM
E
e57 Offline
Are the next poles on both sides past this one leaning?

If not this one could be bowing under that wieght, or sliding down hill.........

I would think that pole is a little thin for that wieght.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#117684 07/04/04 01:39 PM
W
Can't you get a degree in catenary(sp?) effects? I thought I saw that offered at some university out west.I thought I heard there were a billion poles in the US??

#117685 07/05/04 04:45 PM
Scott
Drive down Bolsa Chica Rd between Westminster Bl & Edinger Ave, over by the Naval station in Seal Beach...The poles lean toward the street all the way down for the most part.. So Cal Edison replaced 'one' of em about 6 months ago! Most have no guys against the direction of lean (I'm thinking possibly due to the military owning the adjacent property, but couldn't Edison get ROW?)

-Randy

#117686 07/05/04 05:30 PM
B
Sometimes a heavy secondary span {quadruplex cable} will “help.” Or, maybe late one day they hit hardpan at three-quarters hole depth.

#117687 07/05/04 08:30 PM
C
I see 40+ year old poles with a bit of lean on them. Yes, including transformer poles.

#117688 07/07/04 09:20 PM
U
Hi

A UK perspective...

When is it considered "Leaning Too Much" ,

When it is at 45 degrees often enough! Not usually of great concern unless conductors get out of line or it leans over something that matters!!

Was the Pole set up with the leaning situation known,

Sometimes yes! On 'turners' ( corners in the line ) especially, once the lines are up the stays should be able to straighten things up with a spanner. If not...oh well tough!

What is the main cause of the "Lean Phenomina",

Soft ground, 'turning' ( lines not through dead straight ), bad struts - bad night before for the pole crew!

Does anyone else notice this stuff besides me.

Yes - and it annoys the hell out of me! SOmething as obvious as that seems not to matter to most - but I can imagine the gip I would get if I stuch a service board up in a house on the same jaunty angle!!

Cheers:

John
(Newcomer [Linked Image] )

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#117689 07/08/04 06:43 AM
P
Quite a few back roads around my area as well where you'll see a whole line of poles leaning, often where they're planted right alongside a ditch. See if I can get some pics next time I'm out and about.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard