ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#117673 07/03/04 03:08 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Enclosed are photos from a gasoline upgrade I'm involved in. I went into the basement of the store to check the mechanical portion of this job. Put my hand on a piece of 2"pvc that went from one trough to another. Realized it was hot and started digging. The only thing on was canopy lights and a major sign. Shook my head when I realized all the wiring was #14, all was overloaded.Most running 13 or 14 amps. I finally spotted a brown #14 wire, turns out it used to be white and the last pic shows why it was brown. Promptly shut off breakers. I'm subbing and it ain't my responsibility. Called the company and they are supposed to fix. Took pics to CYA along with a fax so they can't deny being told in writing.

- Walrus (jon)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#117674 07/03/04 07:57 PM
B
Love that snazzy homemade “control-equipment enclosure,” a/k/a deluxe $6 screw-cover pull can. I’m guessing there are probably two or more sources/disconnecting means, and that the lefthand auxiliary contacts were foolishly thought to be fully rated “power” poles—ignoring their low-current pilot-duty rating. There may be hex nuts on the back of the can backing the contactor-mounting screws.

All that’s missing is a live auto-parts-grade toggle switch mounted in the gambler-grounded cover.

#117675 07/03/04 09:14 PM
Walrus,

I know you as the "Gas Station Guy"(you're a #1)

Won't you please call the violations?
Cool T-Fluke. That's what I have.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 07-03-2004).]

#117676 07/03/04 09:20 PM
T
Is it me or does it look like there's a wire jumpered between the middle and right lugs on the top of the panel in pic #1?

#117677 07/03/04 11:37 PM
M
It looks kinda like lugs B and C are double-lugged to something that's nippled just above the picture, along with a white wire from the neutral. What is that thing in the gutter on the right side of the breaker panel? Possibly a ground bar...?

Sure is a lot of extra wire coiled up in that small can below those contactors.

Mike (mamills)

#117678 07/03/04 11:55 PM
Good Grief!
Is it just me or does that offset nipple between the panel & the bottom channel appear to have gotten really hot at one time! [Linked Image] & just what are the wires double lugged with the feeders on B & C phase??

-Randy

(edit for pselling [Linked Image] )

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 07-03-2004).]

#117679 07/04/04 07:00 AM
W
Gotta love the use of taps rules on those 2 WHITE(taped black) [Linked Image] wires going up to a 6 space sub panel,eh? [Linked Image]. The relay is a jewel also, the very left wire on the bottom is actually yellow or used to be now its burnt yellow. The original installer didn't pull green wires to the pumps, depended on conduit which he did bond. Used Killark y-2 for sealing fittings, actually used for pull ells and not sealing fittings. Had troughs hanging off conduits without double lock nuts. I could go on. My experience is pretty limited, so alot of you guys have probably come across hot(temp wise) conduits but not me. Still can't believe that wire never burned as its been in use for over 10 years [Linked Image].
Its possible that the wire shown in the amprobe was at one time below 12 amps. Its shared by several breakers but it appears stuff was added over time. Shows why you shouldn't mess with stuff you don't undertsand
It would be stupid business wise for me to report the violations. Maine is a pretty small state as far as business is concerned. Only so many customers and the gasoline industry is even more close knit. They are going to fix the lighting issues or I'll have to do it.

[This message has been edited by walrus (edited 07-04-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard