ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
In a British DIY chain-store:

[Linked Image]

My camera isn't the greatest, I'm afraid, and I snapped this rather quickly in case the manager started wondering why I was taking photos of his displays, so it's not the clearest of pictures..... [Linked Image]

Anyway, here's how to become an expert:
Materials required
1.00mm2 Twin & earth cable
3 amp MCB
Smoke detector

Tools required
Screwdriver
Wire stripper
Side cutters

Basic steps
1. Position detectors
2. Run 1.00mm2 T&E from consumer unit to first detector
3. Run 1.00mm2 T&E from first detector to additional detectors
4. Connect detectors
5. Switch on supply
Now wasn't that easy? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-24-2004).]

C
Yeah, piece of cake! [Linked Image]

It looks like this chain got some ideas from Home Depot for their store displays.

As a side note, I love "looking up" in Home Depot for code violations in the wiring in the store itself. The building wiring can sometimes be more interesting than the store displays!

Peter

Peter
Kind of ironic. The installation that the DIY's depend on to detect the smoke and keep them safe might be the cause of the smoke itself.
Hmmm...S

P
pauluk Offline OP
Well, the color scheme is very much like HD!

This is the chain in question.

Oh, and take a look at their "How to...." section. [Linked Image]

A
Dont think to much to the advice. Call me stupid but dont you need three core + e between smokes to make the circuit for all detectors to go int alarm together? Not a very clever idea to put them on there own circuit either, the breaker could be switched off for years and the systm not receiving any charge. Personaly belive that they are best paralleled with a lighting circuit this at leat acts as an indicator as to the supply being available. How do you knock the clips in? or do you have to use your head for that! Good old Bodge & Quodge you tell em how easy it realy is to install all this gear.

Aland...
A good point you make with the dedicated circuit for the smokes... In my last rewire, I put just a couple lights with the smoke alarm circuit... (Kitchen & dining) Just enough to make sure they reset the breaker if it trips for some reason. But I also don't want it to be a circuit that might be overloaded & trip in the night while everyones asleep [Linked Image]

Kinda ironic, alot of the service calls I get where someone can't seem to get their breaker to reset after some kind of DIY shenanigan... I find Home Depots "Home Improvement 1-2-3" book laying someplace [Linked Image]

-Randy

Link Copied to Clipboard