ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#117061 05/18/04 09:41 PM
J
I disagree that this is evidence that Wago-style connectors are not any good.

Judging by some of the other things done in this office, I wouldn't be surprised to find attempts to take short-cuts by sharing neutrals. I have found neutrals combined in the j-boxes- which can easily lead to the neutrals overliading (especially when there are differing ampacity circuits involved!)

#117062 05/19/04 03:11 AM
As far as this instance.. I'll agree with John as it being unfair to down the Wago connectors based on the BBQ'd neutral here... A 14 AWG wire with the amount of load that had been placed on it in this instance had to of gotten to some pretty lofty temperatures! [Linked Image] Not to mention ambient temperature where this was, was well into the 100's F on a daily basis due to the machinery run here.. This actually says something for it's endurance, since it lasted at least 3 years.. (When the other "electrician" added load to the box in question, whether the Wago's were there before that, of he installed them, I couldn't say)...
As I said earlier, I never did locate the overcurrent protection governing the wiring in the burnt neutral pic... I just snipped it at another box to make sure no load would be put on the burnt connection... For all I know so far, this could be on a 100A breaker! [Linked Image] & with the load it was carrying, finding it ending up at a 30 or 40 amp breaker wouldn't suprise me, or even finding 2 circuits/same phase bundled together someplace!
While troubleshooting I pretty much ruled out the "overlaid phasing" on the connection in question.. Disconnecting the 14/2 romex eliminated power to all the problem areas I spoke of earier...

-Randy

PS... Does this mean I think Wago's make a better connecton than a properly made up wirenut? Nope!, But Wago's seriously come in handy when I need to remake up a box that someone has left 2" of wire to work with in! Getting a wago on properly can be done... A wirenut? Hmmmmm.....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard