ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#116858 05/01/04 01:24 PM
I
iwire Offline OP
I was sent these photos by email, I have resized and lightened them, other than that I do not know to much.

This is not my work, but it did pass inspection. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It appears one set of conductors passes through the meter to the panel.

It appears the line side for the meter passes through the bottom of the meter and into the panel turns up and back into the meter finally terminating at the line lugs.

The load side of the meter leaves the bottom of the meter wraps around the entire panel and back into the meter only to leave the the meter through the top hub.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 05-01-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
iwire: What city or town was this job located in?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
I
iwire Offline OP
It's a beauty isn't it? [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 05-01-2004).]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Bob,

My guess would be that they didn't have enough wire-bending space in the Meter enclosure to do what they wanted. [Linked Image]

BTW, that style of Meter Enclosure is similar to what we use on Long Island except ours are combination OH/UG and must be 13 inches wide minimum.

Bill

Bill
W
Clearly someone calculated the available fault current, and realized that if they just has about 8 more feet of conductor they could use cheaper breakers [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

It has the appearance of something _very_ neatly done, while at the same time appearing very wrong.

-Jon

J
I love your answer winnie. Maybe before the price of steel and copper went it would have been cheaper to throw an enclosure with a big 'ole coil of wire in it.

Looks like bending radius is the issue to me... For the size of the conductors, I don't really see how the terminations could've been made without seriously turning that meter can into a rats nest (Or more so).. I'd have ordered the meter socket with a larger can... One peculiar thing is C phase looping back around on the load side of the meter socket... That kinda blows the bending radius justification out the window... Jon might just have the idea behind this! [Linked Image]

-Randy

I
iwire Offline OP
I think I could have found a better way.

You have got metered and un-metered power in a panel that has nothing to do with that meter.

As far as the size of the meter socket itself, we must use the one specified by the POCO.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
C
Not for nothing, but are those couplings and chase nipples considered adequate equipment grounding paths? BTW, at least they took the locknut off the compression connector in the hub over the meter pan. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by cavo148 (edited 05-02-2004).]

R
My power company wouldn't set that meter, for fear of power theft.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard