ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
What kind of conduit is that between the boxes? [Linked Image]

No locknuts or bushings. It looks like soda pop cans
wrapped in tin foil. [Linked Image]

I
iwire Offline OP
Gene those are 2" threaded conduit couplings.

They are held in place with 2" chase nipples.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
J
The lack of space makes me wonder if that meter can is only rated for 250V.

F
i did look at the photo and i am suprised to see that kind of arrangement and btw look at the last photo and look at c phase conductor it go to left side while other two go to right side and what the heck it goes ????? i could swear at it in french but took me a good hard look at it [Linked Image]

really honestly i dont know how it can pass this inspection there at all and what more i will complain the amout of wire on the panel box on right side what if add hevey branch circuits it will eat up all the room there fast.

merci , marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

P
This is looking worse and worse as I look at it. The nuetral does not trave with the phase conductors and the feed to the disconnect looks like it comes through a removeable cover from the gear. I don't see a meter, so hopefully this did not pass and will be reinstalled.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
I
iwire Offline OP
Pierre, the path of the neutral is one of the things that jumps right out at me too. [Linked Image]

I did get some more info on this. The panel you see was always there fed from a meter in the service gear on the left out of view.

Now a new 200 amp service was needed so the 200 amp disconnect and meter where added, tapped from unmetered bus bars in the service gear.

This power company demands cold sequence metering, there is a service disconnect before all the metering on this service.

That is a standard size 480 volt 200 amp 3 phase 4 wire meter for this area. The room is fine if you make bring the line in the top and the load right out the bottom

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
W
I have to agree with joe on this one guys. Where was this job located at? Also is a hospital located right next door to this facility. Code violations on this installment are too numerous too even begin to mention, along with the obvious lack of safety personnel at this facility. Wheres the labeling?

R
To me, it looks like the disconnect to the left is for the panel. The condutors for the meter socket are using the panel as a wireway. My bet is that this is a feed to another electrical room (probably a cell antenna set up), where the owner of the building is going to backcharge the cell provider for electricity. I've seen this in a few applications in New England. Not quite this creative though.

We see what it is but still...Why?
Maybe "The boss gets mad if I order my wire too long and end up with scrap"? [Linked Image]

E
e57 Offline
It seems to me that someone got lazy, and saw no need to run an "extra" conduit if the conductos are going to the same, or near the same place. The funny thing is they put a lot of effort into it.

The meter section is obviously not for the utilities, but for the owner to back charge of power cost. (If not, someone's getting something free!)So why not put in an "Emon - Demon". "Easy - Sleazy"

Now correct me if I am wrong... is that the FACE of the cabinet to the left, that this mess originates from? Would it not require "Work-Space"? Even so, how would you remove those covers. Here's a good one, how did they fish this? From inside the cabinet?

I would be interested in what is going on in the Disconnect too.

The Inspector, who "PASSED" this, was just interested in the Job Card, not the JOB!

I am not an Inspector, but... Seeing something like this would make me want to ask for a chair. So I could sit and relax, and ponder all of the reasons to FAIL it. There are a few question to think about.
Work space, Access, Fill, Grounding, Bonding? The fact that I don't like it... But one does need a reason not to like something, don't thet?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard