ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#116807 04/27/04 09:43 PM
Thought the gang might get a grin out of this.
It is a 1956 International Harvester "Corn Binder" Phone service truck.

It was my first "ride" as well.
kentvw

[Linked Image]

D
She's a beaut!

I've seen pictures of the old Chevrolet Suburban service bodies - I'd love to get one of those old ones... if only I had the $$$ to restore it!

T
Cooool!
I bet if you drove such a car to your service calls your customers would be quite impressed! [Linked Image]

Here about every contractor had a Volkswagen van back then. In the 1970ies Toyota LiteAce started to come up. When I was a kid in the 80ies and early 90ies about every plumber, sparky,... drove at least one white or yellow LiteAce. Some of them (or hould I say surprisingly many) are still around.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Ah yes the Toyota's.
I drove a 79 yellow toy p.u. that had a double cab on it as a company truck. Man was that thing ugly!

B
kent and electure — Not only is that a wonderful old worktruck photo, but so is the background… It matches the period to a tee.

[Again, SoCal Edison’s on-location services did a fantastic job. As promised: “we have the perfect exterior to match the scene…” ]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 04-28-2004).]

T
I think Toyota made different models for the US market. Ocasionally a US version would make it here. They were definitely ugly. Huge, bulky and they drew more fuel than even most US cars back then.
I really like pre-WWII and 50ies US cars, but IMHO most later cars have had a tendency to be bulky and huge, without proportions. There are a few exceptions, of course, but I just don't likemost of them.
That truck in the picture is a really cool car.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
This pic was taken around 1974. The location was my brother-in-laws ranch near Bozeman, Montana. I worked for him in the summers during highschool and he bought me that truck as part of my summers wages. (Driving age at that time was 15.) I was in heaven having my own wheels. I had orange shag carpet in it (Roof liner too.) and of course my 8 track player.

Bjarney,
You'd better be careful, or I'll tell everybody that you live right across the bay from San Francisco...Oops [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

The first work truck I drove, at 17, was a '61 Chev, 6cyl (4 or 5 cyl worked on a good day) stick shift, backfiring, stick between gears, carb catching fire, stalling bomb on wheels lettered with "Unit #7".
It wasn't even a week until I found out that there was no "Unit any other number".
They ran their whole company on this type of a semi-fraud...S

Funny how life happens.
Would have never thought of this with out pauluk.
Just bought my wife a VW Diesel- - 47mpg highway.
Took it on a little road trip last Sunday here in Colorado and took it up the highway from 5280' to 13,000' in 5th gear and it was happy to run out at 75 to 80 on the tall grades in 5th gear.
Ah this electrical trade is great.. New car is paid for.
KentVW

[Linked Image]

Wow Scott,
She's a beaut!. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard