ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#116639 04/14/04 11:12 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
What's wrong with this picture ?

- LK
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#116640 04/14/04 11:44 PM
W
Looks as if they have reversed the conection of the green/neutral connection in the photos.The three wire one should have the green/neutral ground wire connected to the silver terminal, and the four wire one should have the green/neutral ground wire connected to the green ground screw. This should not be a problem as almost everyone I meet is an electrician (meaning they have no qualms about doing their own electrical work). It took the NEC over thirty years to make up their mind on this one didn't it. [Linked Image]

#116641 04/14/04 11:51 PM
"Green Neutral Ground Wire"??

As far as I know.. You're no longer allowed to use a 3 wire power cord for dryers or ranges... 4 wire is required with separate ground & neutral conductors...

The 1st pic with the 3 wire cord shows the appliance ground bonded to the appliance...

2nd pic shows the appliance ground wire bonded to neutral instead of with the grounding conductor...

-Randy

#116642 04/15/04 12:05 AM
C
The other end of green wire connected to the “ground screw” in the top picture is connected to the neutral on the terminal block. The factory connection to the neutral terminal is not visible in these pictures and sometimes not easily visible when looking at the appliance. If a 4-wire cord is used the neutral-ground bond is removed by disconnecting the green wire from the ground screw and connecting it to the neutral terminal which connects it to itself. The other option is to insulate the green wire and leave it floating in the case but it’s safer for the manufacture to tell you to connect it to the neutral bar to make sure it doesn’t come into contact with the cabinet of the dryer.

If you don’t believe me disconnect the green wire from the ground screw and connect a continuity tester to the green wire and to the neutral terminal. It will light up!

Curt

Curt Swartz
#116643 04/15/04 07:31 PM
L
LK Offline
Curt,
Yes, your description is correct, because you know the manufacture uses GREEN wire to identify the neutral!

Curts description is the way is should be wired.

Lostazhell,
You think green is green, no green is white.

"2nd pic shows the appliance ground wire bonded to neutral instead of with the grounding conductor..."

That is the neutral wire, the manufacture uses green for the neutral.

Just remember, bring your mind reader with you when you work on appliance.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 04-15-2004).]

#116644 04/15/04 10:18 PM
L
LK Offline
UPDATE

Contacted manufacture, they are in the process of changing the instruction manual, however, it may take a long time to use up the existing wire harness with the green neutral.

Link Copied to Clipboard