ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
This was found behind a homeowners entertainment center with "14" cords connected to it!!!!! It shows a rating of 15A 110V AC/DC with a 16AWG zip cord feeding it... I did not however find a UL listing (nor any other agency... suprising!) I'd think CPSC would nail something like this though!

-Randy (lostazhell)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
I've seen smaller versions of those in a kitchen. They actually had terminal screws and mounted on a junction box as a permanent receptacle.

-John

D
I've seen those - they were popular before the "power strips" we use today came along.

[/Obi-Wan Electrician]
Octo-Let.... now, that's a name I've not heard in a long, long time...[/Obi-Wan Electrician]

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 04-03-2004).]

S
Ohh...COOOLLL.

I do remember those. They would sell them in supermarkets under the GEM brand but I never bought them because they were so overpriced. They would come in various lengths - from about 7" to some that were a yard in length.

Haven't seen them in years though...especially since now I've been looking for one, so if anyone runs across one, let me know [Linked Image].

What are you planning on doing with it? Nifty male cord-cap design. Is it held together with a nut & screw?

P.S. I notice it was "produced in Japan" so there should be a Dentori "T-Mark" or a JIS logo on there somewhere. T-Mark is compulsory on Japanese wiring devices. JIS is optional.

This is Dentori's "T-Mark"
[Linked Image from yung-li.com.tw]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 04-04-2004).]

B
Reminds me of a new word.

fluggling (flug'l'ing)
1. (v.) The dangerous practice, in a darkened room, of using one's finger to guide the end of an electrical plug into a wall socket.

(First syllable rhymes with plug.) www.unwords.com

C
ive got something like that sitting in my basemnet. it looks a little different though, and is 3 feet long (i wonder how many plugs you could fit in it [Linked Image] ) surprisingly, it does have a UL listing.

Sven, Youre right on the money.... That "T-Mark" symbol is just to the right of the "produced in Japan" statement...So this means some sort of testing facility decided to declare this thing as safe for 15A??? & yes, the male cord cap is held together with a nut & screw [Linked Image] This ones about a foot long.. I've actually had this thing for some time.. (At least 1996), Kinda funny, I found this on a call when I lived not too far from you. (Massapequa, LI, NY) It survived the trip back to California & has been with all my antique "don't use" stuff in the garage ever since.. I really don't have a clue how old this thing might be... I'm guessing somewheres in the 50's or 60's judging by the lack of polarity control, lack of markings on the power cord & writing style...

-Randy

Oh, Yeah...
There was one of these attached to the underside of our upper (metal, and no, it wasn't made of rocks like the Flintstones [Linked Image]) kitchen cabinet when I was a kid. '50s. It was plugged into "the" kitchen receptacle.

Come to think of it, I think the only real electrical appliances we had were the toaster, the "modern" timer and light on the range, and the "Mixmaster" that mom took out for cakes or bread....S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 04-04-2004).]

F
I pulled one out of a machine shop near a turret lathe. The operator had two lamps, a radio, and a Dremel tool plugged in to it. The problem came up when the metal chips and cutting fluid flying around ended up bringing hot and nuetral "together",so to speak. Guess the fire inspector missed that one.

R
I've got one in my office. No, I don't use it, it's just part of my oddity collection. [Linked Image]

Roger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard