ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
iwire Offline OP
I am doing the finish on a office remodel now and wanted to share a couple of pictures of the work the drywall contractor has done.

For a change it is great, and this from guys that are paid by the board not by the hour.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have about 400 devices in this job and 99% of the drywall cut outs look like these ones.

If only it was always like this. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I
iwire Offline OP
By the way, this is what it looked like before drywall.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
R
Bob,
I don't do any cable type installations, so I have to ask about the "drip loop" in the right side stud space in the bottom picture.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I
iwire Offline OP
"Drip Loop" [Linked Image] The roof is not tight. [Linked Image]

If things go the way we would like, it goes like this.

We arrive on the job before any interior walls go up.

1)Mark on floor with spray paint all electrical circuits and locations, we have a color code that identifies what it is, power, lights, HVAC, FA etc.

2)Install every bit of cable attaching it as high as possible to trusses beams and decks, leaving a coil more than long enough to reach the boxes yet to be installed.

3)Walls get built, we install all boxes.

4)Now all our guys have to do is look up and drop the previously run MC down the wall and cut into the box. The slack is already "waste" no sense of putting it in the dumpster, we use what we need in the box and work the slack back into the ceiling leaving tie wrapped coils of slack almost every where.

These come in very handy when things need to get added, as in slack to cut in a J-box.

However the wall you are looking at has a large air duct right above it, no place to leave slack, resulting in the drip loop, if we need slack it will pull up through the cable supports.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
P
I also noticed how clean the jobsite is!!
What is the one conduit run for?
Far wall box supports - very nice - how many times do we not see these installed.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
I
iwire Offline OP
The GC kept a very clean site and we would help to do that too. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Along with the obvious safety factor of a clean job site, I believe it helps the attitude (clean, professional, etc) of the workers (myself included) speeding the job along.

The pipe run is for the cabling contractor, it was part of our contract to provide 3/4" raceway up to the ceiling.

We used about 1500 cable supports and every box is a 4" sq deep with a box support.

How many of you do like we do and use 3/4" raised rings for 5/8" Sheetrock.

It makes the ring flush with the drywall and gives great support to the devices. [Linked Image]

By the way, if the walls where not going to be sound insulated with fiberglass batts we would have anti rattle clips on the MCs where they pass through the studs. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
A very neat job!
We also use 3/4" rings on 5/8" drywall.
That extra 1/8" is actually "absorbed" by the head of the 8-32 screw tthat attaches the ring to the box.
Seems kind of costly to use deep boxes throughout, though.
What brand/type of box is that, Bob?
I see the internal cable clamps...S

P
Bob
How many electricians would be on a job like this/how long are you usually roughing a job like this? Do you ever ask for partial roughs from the inspector?

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
I
iwire Offline OP
Good Morning Scott, Thank you.

I am just a small part of a large company, the supplies are the "deal of the moment" provided by purchasing.

I ask for stock from purchasing and they shop it out.

As for the expense of deep boxes it is a non issue for us (that may change if steel keeps rising) in our market it is all about speed, the faster the better.

We have standard procedures for doing things and deep boxes are one of those, we always feed the switch so minimum 3 12/2s per switch box add to that a typical wall mount motion sensor and maybe dual switching.

By always using deep boxes the guys do not have to stop and think about box fill, you need to add a cable, go ahead and do so.

I am not saying our way is the only way, just that it works for us, employees can be rotated through different jobs and it is all the same for them.

In some ways this stinks as some guys become no more than assembly line workers, but some are happy not to have to think.

The ones that want to think get better assignments, control work, Fire Alarm running a small crew etc. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
I
iwire Offline OP
Pierre This area is on two floors covering about 30,000 sq ft.

I had rough wall inspection on each floor and a rough ceiling inspection on each floor.

The inspector has been out 4 times so far and will be out 2 more times for finish.

This job had 12 guys for 2 weeks to pull (about 40,000 ft MC) and box the majority of the work. During this time all the lighting feeds for the 2 x 4 troffer are also hung from the ceiling and the independent support wires for the fixtures (required in MA) are installed.

The MCs for the lights are stripped, connectors and wires nuts installed.

Bar boxes for exit signs, smoke detectors, occupancy sensors etc are also all hung from the ceiling.

All of this is done long before the grid goes in, if the job drags we will wire and hang the troffer from the support wires before the grid is installed. This is not how to make friends with the ceiling contractor though.

Once all that was done we have cut down to 5 guys to do finish work and work on cleaning up existing conditions.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard