ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 558 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
The only acceptable method for cutting the armor of MC/AC cable is the rotary cutter.
At least with Alflex and AFC, it's part of the listing.
I'll try to find substantiation.

Inspectors here even ask electricians what they used to cut the cable when they inspect the jobs.
(This subject came up at a recent IAEI meeting)...S

I
iwire Offline OP
electure, Thats is a new one on me, how I strip the armor has never been asked of me by an inspector.

I would be interested in anything that says we must use rotary cutters, not being a wise guy, I just have never heard that.

I still use a hack saw if closer that my roto splits, other guys have a fancy pair of dykes they use to kink and cut the armor.

I also run 4/0 - 4 MC, sorry I do not have a 2" pair of roto splits. [Linked Image]

Some of the guys have roto splits that take up to about 1" OD cable.

Bob.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
M
Bob,

Very, very nice looking job! Excellant work. [Linked Image]

Jps1006,

Please give me your home address. I want to come to your next garage sale! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

B
Big Guy why the hostility?

I did not think i was being that way.I am sorry if i hurt somebody's feelings I DID NOT MEAN TO
Next question about the lights
sometimes i move them with power on
there seems to be more of a problem with
277 volt than 120
I would also like to say that anti shorts
are a big thing to me not just because of fixing old work but on new job's also
If my job gets a call back to fix something
like this it make's me look bad. I can't watch
everybody but something little like putting
anti shorts in twisting wire's make's my life easier and by the way all code articles
that i said was in the defense to use
anti shorts not the general work that you did. just to clear that up ok

BIG GUY

Bob,
I've not found a requirement yet.
Just a manufacturer's suggestion, probably not enforceable. Kinda like the red heads [Linked Image]

Try page 50&51, or screen 27 of 33 at www.afcweb.com/pdfs/afcpocketguide.pdf
(This site has a lot of good reference material, just in case there's something else that we never heard of [Linked Image] )

It absolutely has been asked by inspectors in more than a couple of jurisdictions around here.
I don't believe that they mean 4/0 MC.

Seems funny that you'd walk all the way to the truck for a red-head, but not 3ft for your RotoSplit. [Linked Image]

I'll keep looking for some requirement...S

I
iwire Offline OP
Hi Scott,

Seems funny that you'd walk all the way to the truck for a red-head, but not 3ft for your RotoSplit.

Fair question [Linked Image] to me it is a non issue, I was brought into the trade using a hacksaw, I was taught to use a hacksaw for this in trade school (1981).

I do not know of anytime I have hit the conductors, (a thumb, the back of my hand [Linked Image])I have seen Rotosplits hit copper.

When using Rotos the armor is held straight, when I use a hacksaw I put a good bend in the cable forcing the conductors away from the cut.

Most of the new guys do not even know it can be done with a hack saw and are surprised when I am faster with my saw.

So what I am trying to say is, I like to use Redheads no matter how I strip the armor but I will strip the armor anyway I can and feel good about it. [Linked Image]

Unless they change the rules. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
J
Mean Gene,

I don't want you to feel I'm over selling when you finally get a chance to see the merchandise. The camera was expensive because I bought it when they were first coming out. Kind of like trying trying to get more than $100 for my P3 500 mhz Compaq that cost me over $2000.

Still you're more than welcome under one condition..... you bring an empty truck. We're selling by the pound this year. Gotta make room for the new baby in August.

M
Well Jps, congratulations on the new baby! I have one due myself on April 16th (our 11th).

R
There was a proposal to the 2005 for the requirement of these bushings on type MC cable. The CMP shot it down by a vote of 12-0.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
J
Mean Gene,

Have you figured out whats causing all these kids yet? Hehe.

Seriously ,congrats and may you get some good helpers from the deal.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard