ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
nichols Offline OP
I have currently been a low-voltage cable tech. Installing network cabling, that type of work has had the bottom falling out on it for the last year. I have had an interst in learning the trade, but I wasnt 100% sure how to do it. I have found a DETC cource that I can do in my spare time, the only thing I dont know is if this is going to be enough to get myself ready for the Jourmeyman's Exam, or even met my states requirements to take that exam. Anyone know of them for the state of Arkansas? Anyone hear of Thomson Education Direct?

Thank You For Your Time

Nichols
I can only speak for here in Jersey, but here goes:
We have an apprentice program available thru most of the County Vo Tech Schools, and they also offer evening courses (so you can make a living during the day).
Another suggestion is to see if you can land a job with a contractor as a helper/apprentice to get field experience.

I don't know the State requirements where you are, so I can't comment further.

HotLine1
John

John
S
Nichols,
try calling here , find someone who has a few minutes to 'splain how your state works...

N
nichols Offline OP
Hm, thank you for your quick responces.. Any comments on the school? Anyone ever done this? I've still got a few contracts left for my low-voltage and wanted to get started on some sort of schooling...

M
Nic

First, find out what hoops must jump through to obtain your license.

For example: To be a licensed Dallas journeyman electrician you must prove two things. 1. that you have worked in the electrical industry for X amount of years.
2. pass the journeyman electrical exam given by SBCCI.

That’s all the hoops.

SBCCI requirements for taken ether the masters or the journeyman is the ability to read. The AHJ determines who receives licenses.

Then all you would have to do is satisfy the local AHJ standards…

Strategy for passing the exam.

Go take the exam without preparation. Should you fail, this helps you focus on your weak areas, however, it mainly removes some of the exam anxiety for next time. In addition, who knows, you may pass it. They are terribly simple, however, the first time is not to pass but to experience so do not feel bad for not passing.

Weeks before, pace yourself on studying the code using videos such as mike Holts.
Week before exam, take off from work. Really, focus on passing, study four six hrs a day
The morning before exam review that’s it, no more studying.
Get a good nights sleep.
Test day, have a good breakfast, arrive early at test sight.

Couple more things, mark your book, color it with highlighters, and tab it. Know the book. Also, study about testing techniques and that should do it.

Good luck
mims

N
nichols Offline OP
Crud, I might hafta move to dallas [Linked Image]..

In Arkansas we HAVE to have 4YRS of school, 144hrs/yr.. and 2,000wrkhrs/yr for that 4yrs.. Before the state will let me sit the exam.. Thats for the journeymans.. If i am misunderstanding this pleace tell me.. This sounds like its going to be a long windy road ahead.. I'm just curious how i'm going to be able to continue my type of work (doing rollouts to other states) and goto school for four years..

nichols
BTW..
Has the electrical field gone through the same kind of slow down the telecommunications has?

[This message has been edited by nichols (edited 07-17-2002).]

J
In reply to your question regarding Thompson's Education Direct. I beleive it used to be named Harcourt Learning Direct. I took their Electricians course a few years back and did the examinations online. That worked out great. The have a lot of good material. The biggest problem I had was their examinations. I would say roughly 10-15% of the tests were messed up. Common problems were with multiple choice questions. Sometimes they had no correct answers available. Other times they marked your answer wrong when it was correct. They always changed the score when I contested it. But pity the poor person who knew nothing about electrical and was depending on this course to be the first to teach him. [Linked Image]

G
Mims,
I see by your profile that you are a contractor. Is your busines in Midlothian? I was a contractor there several years ago (Powell Electrical Contractors). I shut down to concentrate on teaching and moved to Alma. Much smaller town and lot less traffic. I should be getting out of my shop in Midlothian this month. I retained it for working on old cars, but the distance to it eats up too much time. Midlothian is booming and there is a lot of potential for an electrical contractor there.

I used the technique you gave for taking exams as practice since I started taking flying lessons in 1973. It really helps for good scores the second time around and, suprisingly, I passed some the first time(with low scores but still acceptable for the ratings). Ask your doctor or lawyer if their licenses' value is based on their exam scores. I would be hesitant to ask a doctor about to cut on me what his score was.

Gerald Powell

M
Mims advice is good, "First, find out what hoops must jump through to obtain your license."

I tested in Michigan back in Dec. 2001 and we had to have a virgin NEC book and they allowed tabs. I had to buy a new book cause I hi-lited the NEC book I studied. Each state/area has their own rules. Best to find out what they are so you don't waste time and money.

Good Luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard