ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I'm thouroughly enjoying the forum! =) Everyone there seems to have a good additude & actually know their stuff, a wonderful change in my day after dealing with know-it-all homeowners, plant techs & handymen... I have a few pics from a job I went to about a year ago... The homeowner called our company to get a 2nd opinion on the work done by another EC at his duplex & these are a few of the things that blew my fuse.... This installation had been done approximately 3 days before these pics were taken
Enjoy!

- Randy aka LostAzHell
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
more:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Is that a wood screw holding down one corner of the ungasketed hub in the last photo?

Randy,
Welcome to ECN!
Keep that camera at the "ready position".
Looks like Scott35, Nick, and I may have some help now documenting the "electrical nightmares" that are around town [Linked Image].

Are these from downtown HB?
You've gotta love the sawzall job on the roof in the 9th pic [Linked Image]...S

Big Jim - I believe that screw was 8-32nds w/ a nut on the back... Not nearly as big a nut as the installer though! [Linked Image]

Electure - Thank you for the warm welcome [Linked Image] This job was actually in old town San Diego near I-5 & India St... The homeowner was more impressed with the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" roof job than anyone... The look on the city inspectors face when he saw that notch out of there was classic though... I was more impressed with the vile attempt at "custom" support for the riser...The homeowner had to pay for a roofer to repair that before the city would give final btw.

San Diego has some very good inspectors.
I can't imagine any (they've got a couple of GREAT females, that can bust any of your MANLY butts) of their inspectors approving this junk.

San Diego does indeed have a very good inspection team. Dennis Couture was my inspector on this job.... I showed him the before pics that are on here & he said he would've red tagged it & had SDGE snip the line... these pics don't show everything... the other EC also broke one of the meters now that I'm thinking about it & tapped the sockets with #8 THHN stranded & left it OPEN!!!! Elevation on that socket was about 5' above grade & FIVE kids live next door! & play around there all the time!!! (I made Dennis very aware of this) & gave the customer copies of the photos & CSLB info so he could send them a "love note" about all this.. I never did catch any word of the final outcome of that... BTW.. I haven't had the pleasure of having a female inspector yet..... [Linked Image] I had a female Edison planner that was a little on the cranky side, but thats a whole new story... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 02-25-2004).]

Randy,
Welcome to ECN, mate!. [Linked Image]
Great pictures, what an entrance.
Thanks a lot for posting them.
And I must agree with Electure, that that pic of the Service pipe "notched" into the roof has to take the cake.
Just goes to show that if you have a saw and a hammer, everything fits!. [Linked Image]

Thank You Trumpy [Linked Image]
That notch in the roof was pretty close to the most mindless thing I've seen!! [Linked Image]
Sometimes pictures just don't do justice though... 7th pic down, there's a 30A 2pole Bryant OCPD with the tie broken off & #14's on it, those panels had about 5 different makes of breakers in there, I think only one Murray MHT was new... The red Westinghouse twin breakers are older than me! [Linked Image]
The riser hub was bolted to the blank on the top of the meter section on the last pic & he holesawed the blank (Nice rough edges for the feeders to rub on! [Linked Image] , I did have a hard time finding the proper oversized hub for that thing! CED special order!) No ground bar in either subpanel. in the 9th pic that white thing coming from the attic vent was a 14/2WG romex stuck in the top of one of the nema 3R subpanels with none other than a 2 screw connector... When I first saw this I thought I'd fallen asleep driving & passed the Mexican broder somehow!

E
e57 Offline
Contact the CSLB, you think the scmhuck had a license?

Oh' Speaking of which there Fellow Cali Boy, January 1 2005. Just around the corner. Are your guys ready? (If you have employees.... )

I took the test last year, it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. And I figure I know my stuff pretty well.

They have ten percent fail rate, if this guy who did that work even bothers to take it, he's a statistic!

For those who have now idea what I'm going on about click here. ( California is just now Certifing Electricians. )
http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ElectricalTrade.htm

or here
http://www.stopab931.org

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 03-08-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard