ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#115979 01/18/04 03:09 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
Question: Is this permitted?

Can I daisy chain these together and are they suitable for use as extension cords?

-Anonymous
(submitted via Joe Tedesco)

#115980 01/18/04 10:59 AM
The UL White Book lists these gizmos as "Relocatable Power Taps (XBYS)"

They are intended to plug "directly into a permanently installed branch circuit receptacle"
They are "not intended to be series connected (daisy chained) to other relocatable power taps or extension cords."
Additionally, the aren't to be permanently attached to anything (workbench, desk, etc), and can't be used on construction sites (although I sure see lots of them used on sites for battery chargers, big dumb radios, and the like).

Thanks to Joe, and ECN, we've all got easy access to this kind of info. I never would have dreamed of finding something like this in the past. Pay attention, it pays...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-18-2004).]

#115981 01/18/04 11:31 AM
R
I think this a very good topic.

I often run into a prediciment when doing business license inspections. People will have extension cords all over the place and I turn them down. Usually I come back and see (1) power strip installed to resolve the issue. I'm happy.

The problem is when they do what is pictured above. When the alternative is to supply additional receptacles at a cost that may not be an option to the small business owner, is this really that big of a problem?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#115982 01/18/04 12:03 PM
N
"Additionally, the aren't to be permanently attached to anything (workbench, desk, etc)"

I wonder why most of them have mounting holes on them then?

#115983 01/18/04 12:45 PM
N
Always a bit sad to see something like this. The things people will do to avoid coughing up the dollars for those extra outlets.
I suppose on the plus side at least some of them now have over current or thermal trips built into them..... [Linked Image]

Not sure what the regs are on them down here.

ciao

#115984 01/18/04 04:30 PM
Thanks for the kind words Scott:

Just to make it clearer concerning your remarks here is the link that will get the UL "White" Book onto you machine.

You will need Acrobat Reader:

Here is a publication that includes many of the answers to questions related to the use of electrical equipment.

I offer it for your use and review when certain product issues arise.

Keep in mind that it is revised every year, but does not change drastically only to include new materials, or revisions or even deletions of information:

Download here:
http://joetedesco.com/2003geninfo.pdf

Question: Are pump assemblies and controls for use in pumping sewage considered as hazardous (classified) locations, even on residential properties?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#115985 01/20/04 09:48 AM
S
Ryan,
Yes it is that big of a problem.

It seems to be wide spread with the worst I've seen being under a computer room floor where two were daisy chained into a third, this third one daisey chained with a forth one into a fifth which finally went into the wall.

Lastly, the wiring and the standard they are built to are for small amperage loads connected to each receptacle. Daisy chaining them concentrates the loading to one receptacle which is not designed for the concentrated load. The device as a whole is often protected against over current; but each receptacle is not, being considered a tap.

We have had reports of fires with these of the surge protector type when daisy chained, though I do not know the details.

Shane

#115986 01/22/04 04:50 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Another photo, same source:

[Linked Image]

#115987 01/22/04 09:10 PM
D
[smart aleck]Of course, the question comes up... [Linked Image]

If they plugged load strip 'A' into load strip 'B', and then plugged load strip 'B' into load strip 'A', what would the voltage drop be? [Linked Image]

[/smart aleck]

#115988 01/22/04 09:21 PM
W
the wiring and the standard they are built to are for small amperage loads connected to each receptacle. Daisy chaining them concentrates the loading to one receptacle which is not designed for the concentrated load. The device as a whole is often protected against over current; but each receptacle is not, being considered a tap.
Suppose someone plugs in a kilowatt space heater in one of the outlets, and nothing in the others. Its circuit breaker would allow the current, but would the individual outlet be overloaded? Essentially the strip closest to the power source in a daisy chain would see a similar effect, lots of cuurrent in one outlet, light loading on the others. I would avoid daisy chaining because of all the voltage drop losses incurred from all those outlet/plug connections. Similar to those office cubicle wiring systems with all the jumpers and sockets. We had one burn badly out years ago. The company had an electrician replace all that with a new conduit system attached to the cubicle walls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard