ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I've not seen too many delta 3Ø 4 wire systems carry a balanced load.

"Common"...

Heh heh!

Oooo Boy, that conjurs up some confusion...

I've seen neutrals connected to 3-Way switches (and a black wire connected to the ground screw once) when a homeowner tried to replace a 3-Way. The words "common" and "ground" sure confuse *some* auto mechanics...

Auto wiring gives me the heebee geebees... I hate troubleshooting vehicle electrical systems...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
How about the term "floating neutral" Do you consider this correct?

R
Does "neutral" mean no potential to ground, or carrying no current under balanced conditions, or anything else?
electure,
Although the whole delta system would not be in balance, I believe the 2 lines with the center tap between them could be balanced with respect to one another, and therefore, the (neutral?) would carry no ccurrent.

BTW,
You union guys, what does the IBEW teach on this matter? I would put some stock on their take on the issue.

P

The words "common" and "ground" sure confuse *some* auto mechanics...

Oh yes! I've come across one or two auto people here like that. Really confusing when you start talking about something like an RV. Because the 12V auto side uses "ground", "earth", or whatever as one circuit conductor some of them seem to have great difficulty understanding that the AC power ground is really something quite different.

E
The definition for neutral conductor that makes the most sense to me, and which happens to be the Canadian Electrical Code definition -

"Neutral means that conductor(when one exists) of a polyphase circuit, or a single phase, 3-wire circuit, which is intended to have a voltage such that the voltage differences between it and each of the other conductors are approximately equal in magnitude and equally spaced in phase."

According to this definition-

1. The grounded conductor of any wye connected system, or center tapped single-phase system, is a neutral.

2. The grounded conductor of a 2-wire, single phase system is not a neutral. (I just think of it as a "return".

3. The grounded conductor of a 4-wire delta is only a neutral for phases A and C, but not for the high leg.

4. The grounded conductor of a corner grounded 3-wire delta system is not a neutral.

Ed

[This message has been edited by electric-ed (edited 07-20-2002).]

That one sounds good to me!
S

B
Looks like for electric-ed's posting, in 1. the definitions of neutral are consistent with NEC’s definition of being mutliwire circuits; whereas 2., 3. and 4. are not.

R
Bjarney, but they are correct. [Linked Image]

As others have stated, there will always be slang or generic language used in everyday life.

If we use a screw driver to remove a knock out, do we change our norm and say hand me the K.O. removal tool?
And then expect someone to know what we are talking about.

Roger

Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Great responses, everyone!!! Glad to see so many different angles.

My $0.02:

Grounded Conductor suits me the best all around.

In lieu of that, I like to use these terms:

1 Ph. 3 wire systems: Center Tap, or Grounded Center Tap, along with Noodle,

3 Ph 4 wire Wye systems: Common, Common Conductor, Common Grounded Conductor, along with Noodle,

3 Ph. 3 wire Corner Grounded systems: Grounded Conductor, Grounded "Phase" [ewww!], Grounded Line, and even Noodle would work for me!

Thanks for the contributions!

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard