ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My company sent me on a service call to reattach an electric meter. They were told by the homeowner that he had installed new siding, and all that needed to be done was to screw the meter back up. Well the guy didn't say that he had installed an addition, and the whole service would have to be relocated. Notice the water in the meter? Makes you want to call it a water/electric combo meter.

- richard

C
Red Tag this one!!! The water in the meter might provide enough mechanical resistance to slow down the meter disk.

E
What scares me is the kids bicycle right there. Yikes. This is all too common with siding crews. Scares the hell out of me when I see them removing a hot meter socket with a flat bar. All it takes is a long nail or screw to land the right way in there and kaboom!

W
Thats a great pic, water in the meter [Linked Image]. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

B
The built-in “disk level” checker is great. Let's see those solid-state meter designers top that!

[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 11-08-2003).]

T
At what water level would the meter short out?

S
lovely Richard [Linked Image], gotta vote this one the a 9.5 on the rectal pucker scale, i guess the only way to achieve a full 10 would be to roll up and see the kids using it for monkey bars?? [Linked Image]

C
Wish I could have said that now I have seen it all .. but I know that would be fiction. Off the top I would have to say that our homeowner must have been into the utility company's service wires somewhere along the line when the addition was created. Do they allow compression fittings on utility portions of the services? I am only familiar with threaded in our area. ERFERTT

I
codeenforcementguy

Yes compression fittings are allowed by the NEC, although you may have local amendments that say otherwise.

I am surprised not to see the water boiling, as any time I have seen live equipment submerged it was boiling.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
H
Just a thought...assuming that is rainwater, it would be mineral free (relatively) or "deionized", so might not carry current...wouldn't wanna test that theory, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard