ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 144 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
In the top picture it appears the meter is leaning forward about 45 degrees. The water is probably not back to the power connection.

C
Hazemat: All water conducts electricity, even pure water. The conductivity of water is caused by ions that are present in the water. Pure water has a ph of 7 which means that it has an H+ ion concentration of 1x10exp-7. It will conduct electricity. Rain water has a PH of approx 5, which means it has an H+ ion concentration of 1x10exp-5. This is one hundred times higher than pure water. Thus it will conduct electricity that much better than pure water. The difference in PH is caused by the rain drop absorbing CO2 as it fallls through the air and this causes the rainwater to turn into a week form of carbonic acid. In addition, other contaminents are present in rain water, each rain drop is formed around a dust particle which will have other ions on it. In addition to this as the rain water enters the meter base, it will absorb iron from the corroding portions of the meter base, this will be indicated by the water not being clear in color. Iron oxides contain ions, and ths increase condutivity

Incidentaly are service enterance conductors allowed to be laid directally on roofing shingles

W
I can imagine the POCO being unhappy with one of their meters getting ruined with the water in it. maybe not, the linemen may just swap it out and toss the bad one in the back of their truck, and someone at a maintenance shop throws it out rather than bother with it. What do meters like that cost, remembering that a POCO buys huge quantities?

Incidentaly are service enterance conductors allowed to be laid directally on roofing shingles
I wouldn't want it on the shingles, if there ever were a short circuit the wires would get hot and ignite the asphalt shingles. Actually, I like what my father had done when he built the house; underground lines to the meter on the basement wall, then immediately to a pair of big fuses in the "service equipment". No cable running down the side of the house getting hot if a short happens.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard