ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 253 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Steve, I think cheesy conveys the message quite clearly.
I once saw 2 old EXOs, one right side up, the other upside down, with their handles bolted together. I think I woulda felt safer even with that contraption than this flimsy thing

B
sparky — The short version is there is not much preventing both breakers from being turned on at the same time. The correct solution is to use a double-throw safety switch like F Series Double Throw Switches

Note that if the switch is [part of a legally required standby system, UL1008 listing/labeling is typically specified.

(edited to shorten url)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-12-2003).]

J
Bjarney,

I think if you look closely, the vertical strap that holds the arm is actually over the left side of a 2-pole breaker. The QO 2-pole breaker only has a single handle, the other side is flush.

T
This is the "F Series Double Throw Switch" mentioned by Bjarney:

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Now, there's a real transfwer switch.

S
I suppose that I will take the risk and point out a use that I found one of these used in that I found quite logical. Last week I was at a remote water system that was generator run (read as "What is commercial power?"). The site had the abitlity to have a portable generator brought in for temporary power if the main generator was down for repairs and used one of these to switch between the two generator sources. Switching was only occurring when both sources were off. Nice and inexpensive solution without any hazards involved. The generator onsite was under 10 kw.

Shane

B
Jim M — If I follow your description OK, the interlock accessory does not make a pole space unusable.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard