ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#114894 07/12/03 11:16 PM
S
Just went on a bid the other day where the POCO cut out the meter, cut the O/H at the house and pole. They then removed the base and said the house would need to be rewired. The set up was similair to this one. House era was early 1900's 2 recpt in the whole house and only about 4 overhead lights. Could not run out of there fast enough!

#114895 07/13/03 11:12 PM
N
Just made two bids on places that had simular type of services. The home owners do NOT like my bids and do not like that I'll have to cut up thier walls. Told them both that a complete new electrical system is needed and the old stuff has outlived it's usefulness. The houses were origionally built in the 1890s.
We'll see if they want to renovate the places or not. Both are on the city's fix or condem list. Pity is both home owner are older retirees without a lot of money.
I guess that I'll see a 65-35% chance of these money traps will be condemed and torn down.
Like spkjpr I would just as soon run away, but if they will pay me, I'll do the work.

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 07-29-2003).]

ed
#114896 07/28/03 11:44 AM
S
RMIELL WROTE:

SVEN, send me your address and I will send you one of these, maybe even the one in the picture!

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the offer

I emailed it to you. Don't know if it went through. My e-mail's been sort of cranky lately -- sorry it took so long. Just got back from vacation on Friday. Please let me know how much it will cost to wrap and ship.

Didn't find/buy the knife-switch in Tijuana. I did manage to find an electrical/plumbing distributor who might have had one but I didn't have space in the bag to pack it, so I never stopped in.

But now I know where to go and what city bus to take for next time. [Linked Image]

Sven (the only half-Gringo on the city buses in Tijuana) Still lots to visit and do in the San Diego/Tijuana metro area.

#114897 07/29/03 04:48 PM
N
Update!
Just returned from meeting the two elderly customers who had to get thier old houses updated. Neither one has the money and thier banks will not loan it to them. Meeting was at city planning board hearing. Since both places have been on the condemned list for some time, and they do not have the money to fix them, the planning board voted to tear them down.
The old electrical is not these places only problems. [Linked Image]

ed
#114898 07/29/03 10:26 PM
T
And some of us think that we have problems to deal with...

#114899 07/30/03 01:40 AM
S
Why not just let these people live out their lives in their houses and when they die....tear the thing down?

Where are these people going to move to, who is going to pay for the move?

Of course the bank isn't going to loan them the money. These folks will probably die before they start paying it back to the bank.

It doesn't seem right to me. Where does this planning board get off on doing this? What harm could possibly happen if they leave these houses as is until the occupants die?

Oh...that's right. I forget. The government owns the land. We merely rent it...

Sigh.... [Linked Image]

It's not possible to do some sort of patch work to fix it up enough to be safe?

Sorry guys...that did tick me off just a bit...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard