ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 403 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#114670 06/02/03 01:22 AM
W
I wouldn't have thought they would be allowed to have individual wires loose like that not inside an enclosure or conduict. Especially at those voltages.

#114671 06/05/03 08:47 PM
J
It looks like the conductor on the left is entering the box without a bushing.
I find it interesting that the ground wire is simply bolted to the enclosure, and not connected to a lug/ terminal strip on the inside of the box.
How much induction heating can take place over a few millimeters of metal thickness at 50 hertz? Though, NEC does say that all phases will be within the same raceway.

#114672 06/06/03 04:09 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
The conductor on the left does actually enter through a rubber grommet, although it isn't too clear in the picture. That's not a piece of metal sticking up in front of it -- It's just a loose piece of plaster which had found its way into the box, most likely through the opening on the top which, as David pointed out, should have had a blanking grommet fitted.

Here's a closer view of the bottom section, taken from the thread in the non-U.S. area:
[Linked Image]
Sorry that it got a little "fuzzed" in the blow-up, but you can just about see that there is a grommet on that left hand entry.

Still a pity that someone brought in one phase per knock-out, though.

Interesting point about a grounding strap on the door. I've never seen an MEM unit of this type with such provision, although when the front is closed the screw on the left probably tightens it down securely enough to give a good ground.

The cables run in an open fashion like this between meter and panel is the way you will usually see it done on residential and small commercial sercvices like this one. The phase (and neutral) conductors are double insulated.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-06-2003).]

#114673 06/07/03 12:53 AM
Paul,
There's no marking of Phase sequence on the incoming wires, is this allowed in the UK?.
You wouldn't get away with it over here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard