ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 212 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This is a sub panel in my mom's house. It is not the infamous stab lock type. It dates back to the early '50's when the house was built and inspected (note the bonding screw even though it's a subpanel) The main cable is an old style BX without a ground wire, so its resistance back to the service equipment may be too high to take a fault current at 50 amps. Thus I hesitate to remove that screw.

Never saw anywhere else 3 breakers as a single unit not intended for 3 phase service. They work well, once I was using an electric lawn mower outside, and my mom decided to have toast, both on the same 15 amp circuit. The breaker kicked out after a half minute, as I understand it, as designed.

Is it still code to connect a pair of main cables (one of which feeds another subpanel) like this? The inspector okayed it back in the '50's. I'm not inclined to mess with anything in this panel. I suppose it is grandfathered.

- wa2ise

C
i know where one of these are at still in use. square D made one that looked just like one of these.

Link Copied to Clipboard