ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

#1: I believe most of this is 14AWG. There might be some 12AWG, bottom left.

[Linked Image]

#2: Is it permissible to loop conductors around the screws as is shown here? The top has third conductor, barely under the screw.

[Linked Image]

#3: A little movement and the conductor came loose.

-
ThinkGood

L
3 wires under one terminal..that's a no no.

i have seen this practice many times were a single conductor is wrap around 1 terminal

the white wires on the switch is not marked with black tape. this is a hot conductor.

i hope this box had an exstention ring.that adds to the total cubic inch of the box

and where are the grounds from the 2 romex cable.

S
I don't see an extender ring....

Was this four (two duplex) switches in one 4 x 4?

Now think about this; how else could you make up that box, if the boss only gave you ONE WIRENUT??

That's all I see.
BTW; it looks like the ground conductors from the NMC are "there", but there is no ground screw/clip visable.

A lot of effort went into putting that mess together.
John

John
G
That looks like its been there awhile. If I did that there would be a fire in about 2 days! Or less.

T
OK, OK, here's the story.

[Linked Image] THIS WAS IN THE DETATCHED GARAGE AT MY HOUSE WHEN I MOVED IN! [Linked Image]

(Sorry for shouting.)

Can you believe it? No, there was not an extender on the box. There was a duplex switch (am I using the correct term) on the right--a switch over a switch. To the left was a 3-way. This whole mess follows underground back to the house where the second 3-way switch is located.

There also had been a duplex receptacle further down the line, which had a strange characteristic: Plugging in a device in the top receptacle disabled the bottom one.

When I opened up the device, I found some spider eggs in there. I wonder if that had something to do with it.

Yes, it does appear that somebody spent quite some time putting it all together.

Here's how it was grounded:

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

It appears to me that the bare wire is of a smaller gauge than the others.

T
lighthouse: As to the practice of looping the conductor around (that is, removing some insulation without cutting the conductor) -- was that ever OK as per the NEC?

R
I don't know of any code rule that says you can't loop a wire around the screw terminal of a device and continue to another device. This practice was, at one time, required by the specs for a major fast food chain for the outlets that served the cash registers.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
L
ThinkGood...i did not find anything in the code book saying you can or can not do this.the only thing i found on this is article 110-14-a ...i do see this done all the time in old res wiring(knob and tube)the wire comes into the box around the screw and off to the next sw/rec with about 2/3 inches of wire in the box.it's allway fun trying to change the sw or rec.

E
ThinkGood,

The reduced ground wire dates that piece of romex (is it UF?) to the mid '60s.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard