ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#113416 06/08/02 01:55 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
Lance & Redsy, yes the disconnect is mounted directly to motor. The white leads on the load side of disconnect are directly out of the motor.

You can also see the new cable assembly that will be used as soon as we receive the male receptacle and pigtail to be wired to disconnect box.

Lance what you say about color coding makes sense. Why not use all black conductors? I’m thinking these cable assemblies are made by non-electricians. Maybe the colors help them keep things straight. Like I hooked pin #1 to yellow wire on female end so I have to hook pin #1 to yellow wire on male end. I’m thinking that way they wouldn’t have to ring out the wires during assembly. Little thinking and skill required. I am getting way off track!

Lance, yes we also, often, have to use a 200 foot cable assembly where a 50 footer would be adequate; and we serpentine the excess length in the cable trays. Makes it hard to remove cables later with all the tangled extra cable in tray. Also hard to trouble shoot……when a cable needs to be traced through the tray!

HIGHVOLTAGE, your quote: “Hmmm cute ,,, how about done by someone not having an Elec Lic and most definitely without a permit or an inspection.”

You are right! Most of the electricians in this factory are unlicensed (they did complete an apprenticeship) and in my 20 years working here I have never ever seen an inspector!

Thanks guys for the responses. It is fun and educational.

-MikeW

#113417 09/12/02 11:02 PM
J
It's time to check your assumptions. Exactly what is the cable intended for? Is it UL/CSA listed? Or, was it "imported" from the mines, where MHSA rules apply? Was it scavenged from some other non-electrical application (such as aerospace, rail, etc.)?
Otherwise, regardless of the source, wires that can be seen need to be marked in accordance with the NEC. The code discussed only four colors (white, green, orange, and grey), and these guys violated three of them.

#113418 09/13/02 04:26 AM
Whatever happened to fitting a simple
plastic bushing, where a cable enters a
box.
Believe me, this makes all the difference,
especially when you get a face full of
molten copper,when you move the wires

#113419 10/21/02 12:00 AM
B
It looks to me that the cable was made for use with a Synchros AC motor or a Repulsion motor. Not for a standerd 3ph. The two smaller conductors would be used for the DC excitation.. Blue and Orange...Just trying to help on ID..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard