ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 300 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#113380 05/21/02 01:19 PM
N
It's hard to tell but it sure looks like there are quite a few white wires going to those breakers... One dual even appears to have two whites on one pole and one black on the other.

#113381 05/21/02 04:39 PM
The "Danger High Voltage" sign is a sticker placed on the contactor box cover.

The other violations are mentioned are there indeed... Plus more that the pictures can't show... (I'm getting a 2.1 Mega-pixel camera soon)

The romex is real bad considering that these barns get pressure washed with every change of flock. Dust is also a problem, and everything from fires to electic shock has occurred on these sites.

I hope the after pics are "good enough"... ("Good enough, ain't it?" is the WV state motto)

Since I was a sub-contractor for Musser Electric, and he was paying me prime rate for the area, I didn't nit-pick too terribly, so some listing and labelling violations as well as some others slipped throught the cracks, but we did improve the place.

"After" pics will follow...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#113382 05/21/02 09:03 PM
S
ya.....we wanna 'after' pix....

#113383 05/21/02 09:06 PM
J
When I see things like this, I have to ask: How would I do it differently?
I've worked with turkeys (both the feathered and unfeathered kinds), and I have to say that the area, while not "washed down" or really a "corrosive" environemnt, does see exposure to a lot of ammonia; galvanized sheet metal has a short life. This might be one of the rare times I'd consider using PVC conduit (without it being buried).
As to the "hanging romex:" there is probable a partition that traverses the place when they want to catch the birds. Such partitions are used to push all the birds together at one end- rather than chasing them all over! Therefore, the power "drop" has to be able to move out of the way. For all the times we see SO cord substituted for Romex, this is the one time it should be done. The SO would exit the boxes through proper rubber-bushed strain relief connectors (not Romex or MC connectors), and the board would be hung with jack chain.
The various enclosures would probable benefit from being made of plastic or fiberglass, but I don't see the need for NEMA-4X.
Finally, birds are extremely susceptable to colds, etc. Don't be surprised if you are asked to change clothes, sanitize tools, etc., EVERY time you enter or exit the house. This would be a good time to wear one of those disposable tyvek "hazmat" jumpsuits, and rubber boots. Don't, for any reason, enter another coop.
As a commercial establishment, Romex should not be used. MC should be avoided, for sanitary reasons. While EMT might meet code, adequately supported (lots of hangers)(use mineralacs!) PVC pipe would probably be better. Since PVC expands A LOT with sun, make your runs where they're in the shade.
Comments?

#113384 05/21/02 10:31 PM
You got it down to the letter, John. We have to shower in, wear their clothes including undies, socks and boots (if the shoe fits, you didn't find it at a B.U.T.A. site) spray sterophene on everything we bring through the gates, including tools, materials, food, cell phone, can of Mt. Dew, ladders, whatever... We step into a pan of iodine solution every time we enter or exit any of the buildings on the site, wash our hands very frequently (I hate having damp hands while making up a hot panel...) and generally take about 3 times longer to do anything... [Linked Image]

We get prime rate for the BS...

There's been some big problems at these sites in the past including a near electrocution by a site owner when turning on a breaker for a feed motor (240V). Although it wasn't aproved for this job, Joe has put additional disco's in for the feed motor, usually a HP rated DP switch in a WP box and lever/cover. Once, I was hit in the shower while adjusting the water temp. It turned out to be a fault in the electric fence.

Question: 4 wire sub feeds are required for Ag buildings, are they also required for all subfeeds to other buildings? Isn't that a terribly long path for the fault current to travel, all the way back to the main disco, rather than the nearest subpanel, in this case adding an easy 300' to the one way distance of the circuit? Don't I make the most creative run-on sentences you've ever seen?

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-21-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#113385 05/22/02 09:52 PM
Virgil,
Look Out!, the same 2000 differing interpretations of 250-32. Plus the Ag deal.

#113386 05/22/02 10:37 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They wouldn't let us fix it all, so we had to live with some of the romex, but we did use UF connectors to attach them to the box.

- Virgil

#113387 05/24/02 12:11 AM
We couldn't remove the waterline either, in fact, we had done more than approved already but was still under budjet. Some of the fan circuits had to be completely re-routed, and wasn't in the quote.

Conductor fill and derating of conductors was ignored (some may be exempt as nipples), as mentioned before, some devices were used very "creatively", and some modification of "listed assemblies" had to be made because of some poor design decisions. Not sure about the SO cord feeding the timeclock mounted on the door either... But I also couldn't offer any alternatives, so I kept my mouth shut most of the time.

I'm beginnning to believe that I'm the only electrician in Greenbrier County who attempts to follow code, and I'm coming to the realization that it can actually hurt my career! Everyone else can be so much cheaper and quicker and please the customer and make more profit! We did improve it, but it wasn't to the letter like you guys do it...

Me, I'm "hung up on code" and "would get myself shot if I were an inspector" and I'm "pessimistic" and etc. (quotes from various people)

Joe said he "...was proud of the job..." and threw me a high five...

I stood there with a big question mark in my mind...

*sigh*

Nobody wants quality anymore...
</rant>

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-24-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#113388 05/24/02 08:52 AM
M
Virgil:
True, you may not have been able to do everything you knew was required to bring this facility up to code, but it's certainly a vast improvement over what was there originally. Looks like a very nice job to me.

I have a couple of questions; 1) how did you handle the "flying feed" to the water heater (the pic is kinda dark in that area), and 2) why did you choose to mount the timer on the outside of the new enclosure (possibly a space problem...)?

Mike (mamills)

#113389 05/24/02 06:06 PM
G
What we have been doing for ag buildings for some time is to mount 3R panels on the outside of the barn. They will last much longer than nema 1 equipment exposed to the corrosive environment inside the barn.

Of course if the customer has the $$'s for fiberglass enclosures that's great.....just not typical around here.

GJ

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard