ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
Got a call from a HVAC contractor who had no lug under which to ground his new equipment feeder. My faith in contractors doing a quality job was partially restored in the fact that he did not just leave it hanging. I temporaried the ground in to the gec before I took the picture. All of this work has been done by licensed contractors. Starting with the grounding electrode conductor run in unbonded EMT which was standard pratice in this area for period in which it was installed. At some later date there was an addition to the house at which time some ten to twelve 20amp 120 volt circuits were landed in this panel. The breaker in the 1 and 3 slots is a 40amp 2 pole which has 4 of these circuits landed on it. Many similar connections are obvious. The ground fault is not connected to the receptical in the wiremold box attached to the bottom of the panel. The last addition was a generator that is required for life sustaining medical equipment. The generator is connected via a 30 amp twist lock plug connected to 12/4so cable run to the transfer switch the load is connected via a 100amp breaker. The ground from this connection is under the lug that is missing the screw. You can almost smell the smoke!! Homeowner agrees they need to upgrade but funds are limited because of the new heatpump. What would you do in this situation? A 125amp 24cir panel with breakers mounted beside the meter panel which also has missing dead front cover. On second thought the HVAC contractor may have only called me because he saw electricity when he was installing his breaker. You know the blue flame usually followed by oh-$*%# . The kicker is that the 100amp load connected to the generator is a Federal Pacific panel inside the house, in a clothes closet. I will admit I am going to have to find out just how this transfer switch works before I touch this, as I don't see how it disconnects the poco connection.

Just another day at the office,
Watthead

W
I work with a few HVAC contractors very close, Shouldn't they should have told the home owner to consult a Electrical Contractor first to see if the service could handle the new load. Just my opinion, What's yours?
Wirewiz

C
One word: UGLY!!!!!

Yup, its time for a new service.

Is this California or Nevada by any chance? Just guessing, seeing as how that's an all-in-one.

Peter
C
One word: UGLY!!!!!

Yup, its time for a new service.

Is this California or Nevada by any chance? Just guessing, seeing as how that's an all-in-one.

Peter

Link Copied to Clipboard