ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#11331 07/08/02 11:12 PM
M
I was just thinking that it would be nice to have a rating system set up for GC's that work nation wide or at least somwhere we could comment about a particular contractor, good or bad, where we could search by contractor name before we work for them.

As most of you know by my recent topic "Better Offer?", I have taken a job with a large electrical contractor in my area. The problem now is it looks like I'm going to have to chase my money for the last job that we did, a Rent-A-Center store in a strip mall, for a contractor from Michigan.

The contractor has no dispute about the cost or quality of work and was supposed to pay within two weeks of completion. It has been four weeks now. We were slow at the time we took the job. And they owe us $6,000.00.

Not getting this money is putting a hurt'in on us to put it mildly.

Every time I call they say "The check is in the mail. Call back in a few days if you don't get it".

I wait a few days and call then they say "Oh, fax the invoice, maybe we don't have your address. We'll mail it right out..."

Call again..."You mean you didn't get it yet? Hmpf, Call the accounting department tomorrow. Give them your address & the invoice amount and have them check on it..."

I'm not sure but this sounds like the run around to me... what do you guys think?

I really can't afford to wait a year for the legal system to work. Any suggestions.

Where's our friendly neighborhood lawyer?

(My company is in PA)

#11332 07/09/02 08:40 AM
E
On the surface it sounds like a great idea. You would need to track both the company and the company owners/managers to prevent the all too common name changes. It also would be hard to get started and might just end up being a forum to bash GC's even when the problem might be with the sub. If you figure out how let me know and I'll spread the word.

As for your problem, it sounds like a personal visit is needed. Also call some of the other subs and see if they're having the same problem.

#11333 07/09/02 08:00 PM
E
I would start the legal route asap. I recently had a contractor give me the same runaround. It turned out they were going under. I found out when I made my weekly call looking for money. The building landlord answered and said they were gone. I sent the invoice certified mail to the homeowner and got paid. I was lucky and I hope you will be too.

#11334 07/09/02 10:04 PM
M
Well, after making phone calls yesterday to everyone that could put pressure on the contractor to pay me, I got a call from the owner's wife saying that she is overnighting a check to me which I should get before 2:00PM on 7/10/02. We'll see.

I threatened to turn them in for doing the job and not getting the proper inspections, drawing approvals and meeting all the ADA requirements.

I must have gotten someone's attention. Hope it works...

#11335 07/14/02 09:26 AM
R
Sorry for not replying earlier. From your last posting I would hope payment has been made by now. But if it isn't, Get a lawyer, start a suit NOW. If the money is truly owed and there isn't any complaint about the quality, then they only need a little push in the right direction. Most lawyers will take 1/3 for the collection, thats a crazy fee for this situation. Hire an attorney by the hor, because this will settle as soon as the complaint is received.

Please let us know how you made out.

#11336 07/15/02 02:42 PM
M
Well,

I received the check for the correct amount on 7/10 as planned.

After getting the check, I called thier bank in Michigan to verify funds. Guess what... INSUFFICIENT FUNDS!

I deposited the check anyway and made a call to threaten again with turning the check over to the District Attourney for felony prosecution if it came back.

I made two calls a day to check on funds up to today. Every time I called it was the same thing... INSUFFICIENT FUNDS!

I called the bank and spoke to a live person and was told that the check did clear and was paid. My bank could not verify but it looks like its going to be OK.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Link Copied to Clipboard