ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#113355 05/01/02 08:33 PM
S
Scotts;

Ventura may be only 3K miles from Vermont, yet worlds away in the safety arena.
I do not brag here or advocate this.
It is simply an acknowledgement gained from reasearch on my part.
It occurs to me frequently that those who preach safety do so for a $$$$, so where the grass ain't green, they ain't seen.

#113356 05/02/02 12:21 PM
S
Hey Sparky,
Not sure what side of the fence you are on. But I will tell you this, I am not in it for the $$$$. 3 years ago I quit my job as the maint. supr. to raise my kids. My son is autistic so it is no easy task. The company convinced me to stay on part time as the safety guy.
I have to motivate people here to not do things like stick their fingers on the spinning metal blade. The best way that I know how to do this is to tell people of past mistakes and to not repeat them. Similar to the pictures here.
Best of luck to you and watch out for yourself.
Scott

#113357 05/02/02 07:06 PM
Hey Scott...thanks, no problem. Actually, I have also been in maintenance and occasionally I seem to generate a little friction with those "we always done it that way for years" types who seem resistant to taking the extra trouble to correct a potential problem. For instance, I did a 6 month stint a year ago as the electrical lead for the inside maintenance electricians at DFW International Airport (actual board employee). In the very ealy 70's when this port was build, I suppose BX was considered an adequate equipment grounding conductor, in and of itself. It was AMAZING how many corroded, broken, and disconnected BX connectors are all over that place-with no separate equipment grounding conductors within the BX's. Of course, one must consider that the lowest bids ALWAYS won the contracts.....Regards, Burns M.

#113358 05/02/02 07:23 PM
Hey ZR600....ease up, Brian. The dangerous situation doesn't even exist anymore, for which I'm thankful. BTW, to contrast how paradoxical on safety some electricians can be, consider my above reply to Scott with reference to the DFW grounding problems with BX being used as the equipment grounding conductors. Yet, these are the SAME personnel who, when I introduced them to MC cable, balked at using MC because NONE of them had been exposed to it. For years and years they only knew how to bend pipe and pull wires. Here's the paradox...nevermind that they could use the MC for some applications.(WHICH ALWAYS HAS AN INSULATED GROUND). Neither did they like it when I made them pigtail separate grounds to every single box, whether it was sw,recep,bell, or four sq. They saw it as a waste of time..I didn't. Yet they were all "experience electricians" who were sheltered in one place too long and resistant to accomodating modern safety practices. I that case, however, I WON the fights because I was boss.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard