ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#113125 03/08/02 05:41 PM
C
hey guys , could be square d homeline. [Linked Image] i installed one in my home. ERWIN

#113126 03/08/02 08:01 PM
Nick, I think you or I could be accused (rightly) of thinking inside the box when we see these things.
BTW, I'd like to see the rest of the exposed GEC stripped or phase taped, and a cover on the box to the left.
??Which Ø is to be grounded on a corner grounded delta??
And now, for something completely different, is that piece of waferboard fire resistant/rated?

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 03-08-2002).]

#113127 03/08/02 08:29 PM
R
electure,
I don't think that the code has any identification requirements for a GEC. B phase is usually grounded but again I don't think there is any code rule.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#113128 03/08/02 09:09 PM
Don,
As you said, there's really not a requirement for the GEC to be identified, but I've had inspectors beat me up on this.
Some want green, the others white.
(It's a real pain in the neck to go back to a job to only to change a 6" piece of tape.)
I've come to the conclusion to just strip it for the entire exposed length, and then they really can't turn it down.
(Bummer is, I feel bad about leaving any bare conductor where it could accidentally contact any live conductor)[by a clumsy]

What's a good fix? With some consistency??

#113129 03/09/02 07:37 AM
E
Why the hell would anyone want the gec to be white? Where in the code does it say the gec has to be any color? If you tape it white it identifies it is a "grounded" conductor in the system. It is not. If you tape it green it identifies it as "an equipment grounding conductor". It is not either. It is a grounding electrode conductor of which there is no color requirement. What book are these guys working from? It really pisses me off to no end when inspectors try to enforce a "code rule" that is really just a thought in their heads. ARghh! Ok I'm done now.

#113130 03/09/02 07:57 AM
Electricmanscott:

There were proposals submitted by Dan Leaf from California (are you there Dan?) to the NFPA for revision of the NEC that would have given the OK to use green for the identification of the GEC, but NEC Code Making Panel 5, responsible for Article 250 rejected that request, (it may have also been considered by CMP 6 for conductors) because they said it would add to the confusion, to an already confused and bewildered strange interpretation.

They also said that it could be any color, except green or white, and that if an installer, or so-called inspector didn't know what it was in the first place, they had no business inside of the equipment! It could be black for all they cared!

You got it right when you said the grounded conductor is white, and the EGC is green! I too am pissed off when it comes to foolishness on behalf of an electrical inspector, and I challange any electrical inspector who tries to call for a color on the GEC, or for any other item that makes no sense at all!

Don't get me started when it comes to this subject of a wannabe unqualified electrical inspector!!

Here's a good example of what you mentioned.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 03-09-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#113131 03/09/02 09:47 AM
E
I can not even begin to understand how that could pass inspection, yet I see it all the time. Besisdes the protection from damage the entire eight foot lenght is not even in contact with the ground. Acorn clamps? Oh there will be none of that around here! It is tough enough doing battle with well intentioned homeowners, but geez come on electricians. The hacks will never read this because the people HERE all care about their work and the industry. The hacks are not likely to be bothered with anything that may help or educate them.

#113132 03/09/02 03:28 PM
Most inspectors absolutely hate to be challenged, and I have had them very often make demands that aren't Code Requirements. On fast track jobs where everything is on a compressed time schedule, it's very often been easier to just comply with their little fetishes, rather than get into a p**sing contest. The inconsistencies in their inspections are a real problem.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard