ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#11307 07/09/02 11:27 PM
I've not been posting much of anything for quite a while ('cause I've known I wouldn't have the time to keep up properly), but have been reading (aka=lurking) whenever time allows.
I want to welcome anyone that has the "interest", and encourage you to join up and be heard. This forum will not teach you 1 thing new every day... it will teach you many.
The only stupid question is the one that was never asked.
You'll find that this is the best bunch of information that you'll get, from the best bunch of people around. They really care. Trust Me...(signed on since 12-24-00)...S

#11308 07/09/02 11:49 PM
A
Hi all. Been here for six months almost and try to check it every day. Learned some valuable tidbits along the way from the vast collection of members. As for HOT... I have been setting up services on multi-family dwellings for the last few days. No shade to be found. I looked across the street at the college info/clock sign and it flashed 101 degrees. Yeah I'd say it's hot down here.

#11309 07/10/02 05:38 AM
J
Hello all, been reading for about 8 months I guess. Started learning the trade about 22 years ago when I was twelve. I had the best teacher in the world. I helped every weekend for a long time,at my fathers industrial laundry, we were always adding new wiring, the electrician he hired always had me help and I picked up rather quickly. Hand bending 1 1/4" emt at twelve will make a man out of you for sure. At 18 started helping a friend wire residential for his father, and kept my day job at the laundry. We wired better than a 100 houses in 4 or 5 years. Now I work midnights at the the local water plant, 2400 vac/SCADA plc controls 500hp pumps, and the like.. And operate my own electrical business during the day and most every weekend. Mostly additions, some service work, mostly old stuff. Less that a day jobs usually. I have two helpers that work as needed usually on big weekend projects. I hold a Limited Electrical License in Tennessee, And I am working to get a contractors license by next year.

[This message has been edited by joeh20 (edited 07-10-2002).]

Lighting the way
#11310 07/10/02 06:56 AM
T
Bill, and Mike(Mamills)
Since in an earlier thread Mike asked about my backround, I started taking things apart when I was about 7, and started putting the things I took apart back together when I was about 10. [Linked Image] My Dad was an industrial electrician and electronics tech for the local RCA plant, (the first infared motion sensor still turns his porch light on and off) so he taught me a lot about the funny things electrons can do. Took a two year Vo-Tech course on electronics the last years I was at High school, then moved on to college where I learned to machine,weld,design,draw,and fly and fix airplanes I have my pilots license and mechanics license. 2 years as a mechanic, then 6 in the radio shop installing the communications and navigation radios. Moved into the railroad field (long story,don't ask) where I took over the communications and signaling department. Anything with electrons is my responsibility. The crossing gates, telephones, computers,deasel and steam driven generators,new machines,(and old machines, some date from the teens), building wiring all fall under my "umbrella". I have been to Romania twice, to work in an orphanage and a boys school being started in an abandoned communist farm. (NO INSPECTIONS ANYTHING GOES! [Linked Image])
I really appreciate the acceptance by the other members of this site, I have learned alot.

Trainwire, AKA Steve

Oh yea, forgot, hotter than blue blazes here,heat index over 100. but the job I am currently doing here has me working in an airconditioned room up top, or in the damp crawl space below. So Iam out of the heat. thankfully.

[This message has been edited by Trainwire (edited 07-10-2002).]

#11311 07/10/02 09:53 AM
Welcome!!

I too always enjoy reading the new member replys, and comments, and appreciate the summary of experience given.

Your suggestions, and contributions are always welcomed!

I can remember those hot attics too, and the high temperatures, that's one of the reasons for the "-B" on Romex, since the 1984 NEC.

Make the ECN board your homepage!!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-14-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#11312 07/10/02 09:59 AM
M
Howdy, and thanks for the welcome. My short history is this..

work the the local power company 16yr, senior distribution lineman.

Took life savings and purchased an existing electrical supply house. 911 came along and lost bus and 18 employees not to mention my ass

Fell back on master license that I pick up and started electrical contracting.

Thanks for your time
Mims

#11313 07/10/02 03:17 PM
Let me say "you're welcome"
I've been around the site for a few months now....
Great bunch of guys!!
I'm an electrical contractor, (NJ) 17 years & still going.....mostly commercial.
As we seem not to "make" anything here in NJ anymore, I guess that's what happened to the industrial part of work..
The weather...nice today, but it was hot as _ell last week.

Have a great day
John (HotLine1)

John
#11314 07/10/02 03:20 PM
P
Joe,

PS: I have an interest in any old advertisements for electrical equipment and wondered if anyone has discovered them on the internet?

Did you see the old British ads I posted in the non-U.S. section a while ago? They are here.

I'll scan some more ads from that journal for you (or anyone else) is interested.

Trainwire,
Do you have any interesting wiring stories from your time in Romania? They'd make a good addition to the non-U.S. area.

#11315 07/10/02 04:11 PM
Paul:

Yes, Thanks, I missed the original post? Interesting advertisements of electrical items. I always enjoy the old stuff. I have many old books that show early electrical installations.

This subject reminds me of my eary years as an electrician in NYC on 39th street when I worked for Master Electric Company.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#11316 07/10/02 10:23 PM
M
Hello everyone I have been visiting this site now for about six months and cant get enough. You have all been very helpful with the advice given about the topics and discusions noted here. It is nice to know there is "someone to ask" for advice. I am in the industrial end of the trade, and soon hope to be switching to commercial. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thankyou.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard