ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#112909 11/02/01 09:51 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
Who sold them this sign?

-Electure (Scott)

J
I do not know who sold the sign but I am trying to find the chapter and verse that requires ?" of clearance around a 400A 208 VAC 3ph panel. A sub is trying to tell me that 13" between a battery and the AC panel is legal. I'm a phone man but I have problems with this.

JB,

Working Space Clearances are in the code ('99 NEC) 110-26(a) - generally a minimum of 30 in wide and 3 feet deep (in front)

(The sign is wrong - it should say 36")

Bill

Bill
J
Bill,
Thank you very much. You have saved me a lot of personal and professional time (the union guys come to me for support on this kind of stuff.) I guess its time to by the books. Thanks again. J.B.

480-8. Battery Locations
Battery locations shall conform to (a), (b) and (c).
(a) Ventilation. Provisions shall be made for sufficient diffusion and ventilation of the gases from the battery to prevent the accumulation of an explosive mixture.
(b) Live Parts. Guarding of live parts shall comply with Section 110-27.
(c) Working Space. Working space about the battery systems shall comply with Section 110-26. Working clearance shall be measured from the edge of the battery rack.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
J
Joe,
Thank YOU very much. There will be a very interesting meeting held at the Phone company next week. I think that you and Bill have provided me with all of the information I need to give the Heave-Ho to what I consider to be a Fly-by-night, Low bid, hazard. I am getting to old for all of these "In addition to your other duties." jobs but somebody has to teach the kids the right way. I have five young men that work my DC power plants is all right with you guys if I turn them on to this site? Thanks again to you and Bill. J.B.

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 11-02-2001).]

Send 'em on over JB!

If you've got some pictures to discuss that's even better!

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
This section is 277/480! (800Amps). Clearance is adequate at about 5' (>42" opposite a xfrmr), but this dumb sign sure isn't!
Hey JB, don't just send the kids over. Stick around yourself! We can use the help!

I stand corrected, If the sign reads less than 36 inches it is definitely wrong. In this particular case it should be even more.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard