ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#112565 07/09/01 10:53 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

The pump leaked and the owner had to stand in a puddle to turn it on.

What do you think?

Bill

#112566 07/10/01 05:09 PM
Tom Offline
Did someone hold a gun to his head, or was he foolish enough to stand in the puddle himself?

Crispy Critters.

Sure hope no one with a license did this, if so, they need to return it to the Cracker Jacks box they got it out of.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#112567 07/10/01 06:18 PM
Tom,

I think it was the previous owner that did the work. What gets me is that they were able to buy the house with something like this.

Bill

Bill
#112568 07/11/01 07:31 PM
Tom Offline
Bill,

It amazes me to no end that lending institutions, insurance companies, etc don't insist on inspections. I brought this issue up with my insurance agent once & he said that if they insisted on inspections, they probably wouldn't be able to write any policies.

If this place sold with a VA backed loan, there is a chance this would have been caught. Seeing work like this makes me appreciate cities that require a code inspection of an entire house at the time of sale.It can be a hardship, but stuff like this has to go.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#112569 07/11/01 07:50 PM
I see this kind of stuff more often than not...

I get pleasantly surprised when I find a house that is up to code regardless of when it was built.

I can make it a point to find a code violation on every job that I go to (unless my new constuction, of course..uh, sans G-rods) and post photos, but there might not be enough cyberspace for that... My lack of a macro camera is the only thing slowing me down...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#112570 07/11/01 11:47 PM
Why a 7 day timeclock anyway? Is that the bond grd in the bottom? Could be this was a very nice install before the pool maintenance guy got to it...(pump change, add some lights)..some of them "do it all".

#112571 07/12/01 12:11 AM
I think more likely than not that the previous owner was in construction somehow and managed to pick up this clock from a gut job. Or maybe from the Dumpster - it happens all the time. I see them taking short pieces of cable, used boxes, and devices out of the dumpster all the time. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#112572 07/14/01 02:22 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I think this Paragon Time clock widow maker is amazing:

1) The day/night pins are missing...but then what's so unusual about that?.
2) Neither is the clock powered or the contact used.
3) Paragon sold two types of enclosures. Indoor and Outdoor. Of course the owner selected the indoor. Is this fence inside a NEMA 3R enclosure?
4) You don't want to even close the door on this clock enclosure since you'll probably slice through the wire insulation (but then who cares since the panels not grounded).

Great snap shot. Hopefully no one ever got zapped.

Dave Slowey- Thornton, CO

#112573 08/28/01 06:08 PM
B
Originally posted by Tom:
Bill,

It amazes me to no end that lending institutions, insurance companies, etc don't insist on inspections. I brought this issue up with my insurance agent once & he said that if they insisted on inspections, they probably wouldn't be able to write any policies.

If this place sold with a VA backed loan, there is a chance this would have been caught. Seeing work like this makes me appreciate cities that require a code inspection of an entire house at the time of sale.It can be a hardship, but stuff like this has to go.

Your are exactly right, in my state a prospective buyer can pay to have the house inspected, however the down side is I have yet to see any house inspector able to tell the difference between a 60 amp and a 100 amp meter base when the owner selling the house puts a 100 amp panel on a 60 amp service and tells the realtor the electric has been recently upgraded. Recently I was called out to one of thses deals where the owner had a 200 amp panel installed on a 100 amp service and then built a sink and counter underneath the panel. When I pointed this out to him he said, "well I didnt know that how is the homeowner suppose to know this", but the bottom line is these house inspectors are getting better.

Link Copied to Clipboard