ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
3 members (ampherder, Scott35, sabrown), 151 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#11229 07/04/02 03:57 PM
Had a troubleshooting job the other day, apparently a couple of the old baseboard heaters liked coming on at 80+ degrees even when below the "Medium" setting.

My suggestion was to replace the T-stats (intergral "on the unit" type) but I discovered a screw that would adjust the make and break position on the Dial at ambient temp. It had red dye on it to signify any tampering. The T-stats work fine otherwise.

My question...

Do I replace the T-stat or merely adjust them with this screw they have?

Blissfully Ignorant,
-Virgil

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
G
Yo Spark,
My take on that is..... they put the screw there, it was meant to make adjustments with, I'd call that maintenance.

Just like the screw on a circuit breaker.....oh wait, you have to remove the seal, and know where it is,,, yup, that ain't maintenance.

Those old heaters do get slightly out of whack with cooling/heating cycles, I'd just make the adjustment if it's still in good shape.

Thanks, George! That'll save 'em a few dollars. Customers like that... They're funny that way!

[Linked Image] (who ain't!)

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
P
I think I'd go along with that.

If the 'stat is adjustable, then try adjusting it first. If it still doesn't work properly, then it's time for a replacement.

J
Had em all through my house for years, I saw that red seal stuff, but never had one come on like that. Must be 400 houses built here in the mid sixties and all had baseboard heat. Most have put in central now, but I still get a couple of calls every october or so, to fix a baseboard, I'll have to try that adjusmtent. Had lightning hit my neighbors ceiling heat 3 years ago and short a couple of thermostats out up there. They hadn't used it since they bought the house, didn't know it was even still hot. It was hot allright turned the drywall brown, before the fire dept. had em call me at 3 am. Was ceiling heat a bad idea, do yall have any problems with it. I know it was used here quite a bit in the 1960's .

Lighting the way

Link Copied to Clipboard