ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#112259 05/15/01 12:45 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

Submitted by Virgil Kelly (aka '66)

"Complete with "duct tape" bushing"

#112260 05/15/01 02:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hey, if the bricks are fake...

Duct tape is gray, but spray it with some "Zinc-It" to make it look like the real thing for sure.

#112261 05/15/01 02:57 AM
'66,

I would think that the meter readers would be trained to spot and report hazards like this to the Utility. Got any idea how long it's been like this or how it came to be like this?

Just curious, around here the owner probably would have gotten a letter threatening disconnection if the violation wasn't resolved.

Bill

Bill
#112262 05/15/01 10:41 AM
I can tell you exactly how long it's been there... Since August of 1975. The retired mining electrician neighbor of mine did this.

Hint: I took this picture on Mother's Day.

The CB has been replaced once and needs replaced again. It's even SQ D, so it ain't GE's fault here... I've already replaced the FPE panel inside. The requisite SO cable is feeding the well pump, very dry rotted too. I'd like to eliminate the pole, mast mount the MB back to back with the panel and eliminate the disco too.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-15-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#112263 05/15/01 03:00 PM
Tom Offline
I've been told by employees of Alegheny Power (the serving utility for Virgil & me) that once a service is hooked up, non-payment is the surest way to get it turned off. AP will leave stuff like this in service for years, especially since the biggest problems come after the meter. You should have heard their linemen complaining about us inspectors when we first started in WV. They usually opened with "I know what's safe."

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#112264 05/15/01 03:07 PM
Tom Offline
While we're on the subject, why do mobile homes attract tornadoes & so much inferior electrical work?

There are four installations like this one in a mobile home park near here (I'm refering to the conductors without conduit).

In the other mobile home park in this town, I'd be afraid to stick a shovel in the ground, many of the feeders are buried 6" or less.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#112265 05/15/01 06:08 PM
I don't want to make a long story out of it, but here's my experience with Mobile Homes.

Got a call after Midnite Dec 23rd anout 10 yrs ago. Trailer park near here, (really only about 8 - 10 trailers) Utility had turned off their electrical service and gas (propane) and they had no heat.
After making sure the gas was off I reset the meter to run some tests. What I found was a Long, Long list of problems. Here are some of the most memorable:

Panelboard was on the floor (loose) under a bed facing up no cover. No bonding to the Frame. Supply cord (they plugged into receptacles) was frayed and reverse polarity.
Christmas lights were screwed on to the outside metal siding between the wires. There was a gas leak from the propane tank in front (I was told). The trailer skin had 29 volts on it and was arcing to the gas line where it went through the skirt.

These people really saw nothing wrong with any of this (the old 'it's been like that' thing) and thought the Fire Marshall (whom they called at 2:00 am) was being unreasonable in having them shut down.

Bill

Bill
#112266 05/15/01 08:19 PM
An old horse trader I know had the neutral connection come apart on the "feeder" (14-2 with the ground cut off) to one of his house trailer/tack rooms. It knocked him on his tail when he stepped out barefoot to see why his lights went out.
I shut off the power, and offered to fix it for free.
He said he didn't want to fix it right,it didn't bother him to have the trailer hot,& he'd be careful, but he wanted some lights.
He bought 500' of rotted cord at the auction, and ran 2 wire extension cords all over to clamp lights. He was happy. What a stubborn old curmudgeon.

#112267 05/16/01 06:12 AM
S
It's amazing in that these things are so obvious to the trade, and not the public!

boy, they sure are out there !!!

[Linked Image]

#112268 04/02/05 11:05 PM
I don't feel safe where I live anymore. The trailer that was just installed down the road from me has some errors, some serious, some not-so-serious, and some critical!
#1. 10AWG wire used for a 50AMP Air conditioner.
#2. Electrical conduit on ground in crawlspace (local code)
#3. No GFCI in crawlspace for pipe warmer
#4. UF used for AC feeder in crawlspace (No conduit, local code)
#5. Electrical ground bonded to copper GAS line!
At my house and in/under many others:
#1. Romex/NM on ground
#2. No conduit in crawlspace
#3. No grounding rod, only to water line
#4. Rubber insulated feeder cable w/ plug from meter, goes underground, slithers in crawlspace.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 04-09-2005).]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Link Copied to Clipboard