ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#112200 04/27/01 02:48 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
Submitted by Tom
This photo is a convenience store. Keep in mind there was virtually no electrical inspection in WV for many years. What you can't see are Square D breakers that were made for non-ctl use, there were actually 46 poles of breakers. Also not visible, 3 &4 grounded conductors (neutrals) in one terminal and up to 6 equipment grounds in one terminal (listing said a max of 2 equip. grnds). You also can't see the water pipe about 12" above the floor that runs through the working space.

Tom

#112201 04/27/01 08:46 PM
Could you see any reason why they ran that 2" all the way over the top and bought that expensive LR? Looks like it could have been done more easily. The cabling above looks like somebody put an M-80 in a bowl of spaghetti.

#112202 04/27/01 09:25 PM
HEE heeeheeheehehehehehehe...

Yeee Haw!

Tom's got a digicam... and the challenge for the most violation photos is on! (I can get 150 without leaving my house!)

Let's team up by state and really clean house...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#112203 04/28/01 08:33 AM
Tom Offline
Virgil,

Wish I had a digital cam. Those $$$ are going into my 10 year old van that has over 180,000 miles on it. Sure can rack up the miles in WV, where it always seems to be at least 30 miles to get anyplace. Judging by the amount of code vileations in your house (or are these ones that you can see from your house?) you work under the theory of the shoemaker's kids being shoeless. [Linked Image]

As far as that PVC fitting is concerned, the installer needed all the side wiring space to hammer in all the excess conductor. I try not to take the cover off this panel any more than needed.

By the way, the shiny stuff on the left is the cold air return for the furnace.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 04-28-2001).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#112204 04/29/01 02:23 AM
Tom said:
Sure can rack up the miles in WV

Yeah, and they're hard on a vehicle, too...

Click here to see what we mean...
http://www.kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net/Country%20Roads/WV%20Roads.html

It loads a little slow, but the pics are worth it...

Yeah I'm guilty of the "mechanic drives junk, carpenter's house is falling down, etc." syndrome. Much to my wife's dismay.

60A edison fuse type panel, Lot's of #14 that are no longer on 30A fuses, although one blows unless there's a 20 in it...

Got a dedicated line for the puter, though.

Electric WH, Dryer, Range, space heater,...

Recepts are GFCI, and will be on AFCI as soon as I can get them.

My service is within 8 ft, of the ground...
With vines growing on it...

Shall I go on?

I know...I should be ashamed, but we're planning to build anew in a few years...

The service that my ex-mining electrician neighbor did for my Mom is priceless...bet he never expected the kid next door to someday judge his work...

I can go on and on...really

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-29-2001).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#112205 04/29/01 11:44 AM
I think the miles go with the trade as well as the territory. I've got a 2000 GMC with slightly over 50,000 miles on it, but my miles are mostly So.CA freeway miles @ 70 mph. I'll be sure not to buy a used vehicle from WV; it looks like those roads, though pretty, could eat a chassis in short order (I'm changing companies at the end of this week, to one that won't require as much driving)

#112206 04/29/01 04:42 PM
N
Same thing with miles in Colorado. I drive a 2001 Ford E-350 and now have 32000 on it. Worst part is I usually dont leave the city!!!

Jon Niemeyer
#112207 04/29/01 07:59 PM
S
well Virgil,
at least you have 'flat', all we got is up and down.
[Linked Image]
so let's really come clean, huh!

If you live in your truck do you;

>talk on the cell & drive..
>eat lunch while driving...
>take notes while driving..
>sing to favorite tunes...
>play 18 wheeler on the CB...
do all 5 at once?

the last time you hoed your truck out you found;

>the same widgets you just ordered..
>those widgets you yelled at your supplier for having on backorder so long...
>that you really DO have a spare...
>meatballs from the sub you ate while driving..

[Linked Image]

#112208 04/30/01 12:16 AM
Oh yeah... Heeheehee

Boy I can relate to that! [Linked Image]

I found four packs of utility knife blades under the seat the last time I cleaned it.

(I got pictures relating to that seven hour day too!)

A 2" Bushing I really coulda used (made a special trip to the supplier for one, (35 miles one way)...

Drill bits I thought I'd lost...

Extra battery for the cell...

Enough wire nuts and 3/8" connectors to last a month...

Oh yeah, and a brand new pair of strippers (my all purpose tool, they're cheap) still in the package! (I forgotten about...)

I average 120 miles per work day...
My truck squeaks, groans, pops and rattles as I travel... I think the only thing holding my bed on is gravity!
Ironically...the motor rocks!
135K and I never add oil, only change it every 4500 miles. 18.9 mpg after I fixed the fuel leak! (Nissan Hardbody, 1989 2.4L 4 Banger...) 1/2 ton of tools, ladders and conduit...

Had an Econoline once...love the 4.9L six banger... tough motor.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-30-2001).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#112209 04/30/01 06:20 PM
Tom Offline
I had a helper working for me back in the 80's. One weekend, I cleaned out my van. When he got in on Monday morning, he was astounded to find out that the van actually had a floor. he thought all that junk was jammed in so tight it was holding itself up.

Did someone say steep? There's parts of WV where they'll sell you both sides of the same acre. The high illeteracy rate is due to the mountains being so close together that they can't get a book open all the way to read it.

Virgil can confirm this- there are tree stands for deer hunting where you step onto them one side & it's a 30' plus fall to the ground on the other side.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard