ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 263 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
There are indeed minimum distances specified in NEC for most things mounted above the tub. 410.10D disallows most things within 3 feet from the edge of the tub and within 8 feet of the top of the tub rim. Since most residential ceilings won't allow you to mount anything that high, it effectively rules them out (exceptions are made for things listed for wet or damp locations).

Ghost307
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Question from an outsider... does the NEC specify minimum distances between tubs or pools and electrical devices?

I know for sure that something like this wouldn't fly in any country using the distance tables from the European standards - they prohibit any devices or appliances except suitably wet rated water heaters within 60cm from the edge of the tub or (in case of showers without a shower pan) 120cm from the furthest reach of the handheld shower below 225cm above finished floor level. That doesn't mean average people couldn't touch the light/fan/whatever standing up in the tub with outstretched arms, but you certainly couldn't hit it accidentally.
I think Residential Building Code may prohibit this Fan installation even if the Tub wasn't there because of height requirements.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard