ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Part 1:
I was sent to a house to troubleshoot-(3) receptacles in one room. (1) receptacle in another, a tripping circuit, and 2 switches. Let the nightmare begin. After TWO days, let me share just some of the things I found, in no particular order. 1st picture is a standard fan box. 5 of these were under the porch. 4 had fans installed (non-damp location rated) I removed one to check for power and I found it hung from 2-1”tek screws put into the 8-32 ears EVEN THOUGH the box is clearly stamped to use the 10-24 studs for fan installation. 2nd picture is one of the 3 j-boxes I found under the soffit. 3rd picture is a j-box I found in the ceiling.

JohnJ0906
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Part 2:
More of the basement. Under the steps I found 2 wires rolled up, no tape, no wirenuts, no box, BOTH HOT! (The nailon w/blank is a temp j-box for them) Above this is a plethora of cut wires. At least these are not hot. Then we have a receptacle buried under the paneling. It was easy to find-someone marked it in pencil “outlet”. Next we have an empty nailon behind paneling. It wasn’t empty when I found it! It had (1) 14-2 and (1) 14-3 entering from what I think was a 3way at one time. (This is over one of 3 doors to the exterior, the 14-3 goes to a 4way, then 2 a 3way at the other doors) Exiting this box was (2) 14-2 and…. A single 14 ga. Wire! Going to the new switch location. Are we having fun yet?

JohnJ0906
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did someone get a beaver to chew that hole out for the receptacle in the 2nd last pic?
Boy that's rough! [Linked Image]

C
Did someone get a beaver to chew that hole out for the receptacle in the 2nd last pic?
Boy that's rough!

I would venture a guess and say a hammer claw did that.

R
Whats with all those nipped off romex cables in the 5'th pic down?? Any of em live? What a mess this is but i have seen similar in some of these rental properties we look after. Similar if not worse!

A.D

Link Copied to Clipboard