ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
from theelectrikid

Here are pics of the 1956 Levittown Jubilee my family just purchased.This Real-estate inspector was no hit-and-run inspector. We were there a good 2 hours, and he checked every crevice of the house. I found out more electrical than he did, but the Township Electrical Inspector is coming soon to check that department.

Coat closet under the staircase, revealing the TV outlet being fed from the recept in the master bedroom. TV cable was added later
(and will also be replaced.)

[Linked Image]

What the? This is the cord for the light in the attic above my head. I see a flying splice! Oh well, the previous owner was a
carpenter. More food for Del-Val Scrap!

[Linked Image]

Cheater-plug on microwave. Supposedly gets plugged into only outlet besides behind fridge, on wall below that window. There's
also two 18-gauge extension cords sitting in that stand.
[Linked Image]

A 1956 Levittown Kitchen, electrical and cabinet wise. No outlets, except behind the fridge and the one on the floor for the
microwave.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-14-2007).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
welcome to levittown i worked this area for 3 years can tell you alot of levitt secrets about this house .Ive seen alot worse things in a levitt be happy thats all you found.Maybe town of hempstead or the ahd inspector can tell you some more. Overall the houses were built good.. good luck..

{Message edited to remove e-mail address}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-14-2007).]

JBIELECTRIC EAST MEADOW NY
T
What did you mean by "recept on the floor?"

S
Levittown/ Hempstead is Long Island, New York.

I believe Levittown Jubilee is the model name for the home.

Looks like someone will be cutting-in some old work gems, a few new 20 AMP homeruns, and a few new GFCI protected receptacles in the new kitchen. [Linked Image]

Good luck, Ian!

L
Ian beware of that ungrounded microwave!!

You probably already know, but I can tell ya from personal experience when I was 16 and touched the microwave, I recieved a nasty jolt. Back then, I wasn't sure how I got jolted but man it hurt. I do know that it had an 'adaptor' on it though. I was also wet to from being in the pool. Yeah I know, makes sense to me now why.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

What did you mean by "recept on the floor?"

Whoops! [Linked Image] My mistake! I meant to say the recept. on the wall above the floor.

Levittown/ Hempstead is Long Island, New York.

I believe Levittown Jubilee is the model name for the home.

Shock, wrong Levittown! [Linked Image] I'm in his PA Development, a 1955 Model 3 Jubilee.

Looks like someone will be cutting-in some old work gems, a few new 20 AMP homeruns, and a few new GFCI protected receptacles in the new kitchen.

Good luck, Ian!

Hehe, down the road somewhere yes. As I was saying in the chat last Friday, the former HOs hired someone to install a GFCI in the kitchen. The guy ran what I think is 14/2 on a new 20amp circuit! That needs checked out. Yes, this kitchen will see some electrical work. It may be Wiremold, but, oh well. Thankfully there's a "crawlspace/attic" right above the outer wall that leads to the garage attic, right above the servuce panel.

Upstairs (mine!) is getting it too, as well as the bathrooms.
Thanks for the good luck!

Ian beware of that ungrounded microwave!!

Luke, the outlet is old and shot, so it'll only hold a plug in the bottom half. And with the phone plugged into that half, that microwave ain't being plugged in anytime soon! Also, I found the first outlet of that circuit to be in the dining room, so Im thinking about putting a GFI there, and replacing the other kitchen recepts with new grounded ones, with the "No EGC" stickers affixed.

Also not related to these pictures, I have three dead (20volts!) outlets up here, and a switched one that reads 56volts with the swtich off. Ughh. Thank goodness it's just bike-riding distance to Ace Hardware. (And no, I don't believe in using 39ยข receptacles.)

Thanks guys,
Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
P
If these pics show the worst of the electrical problems, then it doesn't look too bad. I've certainly seen far worse over here!

A
Sorry you guys are right i did not recognize the (levitt jubilee) this seems to be somewhere else ,delaware maybe im from long island and levittovn just rang a bell . good luck anyway ian ALBI

JBIELECTRIC EAST MEADOW NY
Y
Are you gonna keep the original cabinets?

Heck yeah we're keeping those cabinets, that was one of the things that "bought" the house for my mother.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard