ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
but the Township Electrical Inspector is coming soon to check that department.

Judging from your posts, and knowing some of the people down there, you'd be better off inspecting it yourself.

That isn't in Indian Creek is it?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Judging from your posts, and knowing some of the people down there, you'd be better off inspecting it yourself.

That isn't in Indian Creek is it?

He's been here and left already, back in December. He did miss a few things though. And I AM going through this place with a fine toothed comb, and some mysteries have already been unveiled.

Birch Valley actually. Indian Creek's down New Falls Road. (Home of the BIG Ranchers, Junior Jubilees and BIG Levittowners, and 3 burned houses.)

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 01-19-2007).]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
D
and some mysteries have already been unveiled.

I bet there are more to come too....

Good luck with your project, keep us posted.

P
Heck yeah we're keeping those cabinets, that was one of the things that "bought" the house for my mother.
I find that I often prefer the older style of fittings to the modern.

I've seen some of those "home makeover" shows where they rip out an old room and refurbish it, they're gushing over how wonderful and modern it looks, and I'm sitting there thinking that they've completely ruined the place and it looked much better before.

I find that I often prefer the older style of fittings to the modern.

I've seen some of those "home makeover" shows where they rip out an old room and refurbish it, they're gushing over how wonderful and modern it looks, and I'm sitting there thinking that they've completely ruined the place and it looked much better before.

We almost lost this house in a bidding war with a general contractor who has bought quite a few of these houses and destroyed them. The family (it was an estate sale) sold it to us knowing we wouldn't demolish it.

Ian A.

If these pics show the worst of the electrical problems, then it doesn't look too bad.

As I discovered today while replacing a broken wall-plate, these aren't the worst of the problems.

Ian A.

PS: Why is it that a broken wall plate keeping me from plugging the computer in, quickly turns into a $100 shopping list that will be put off forever? Heck, the problems I mentioned above (20volts) still haven't been fixed. Ughh.

N
It always seems like small problems snowball. About two years ago I had something like the broken wallplate, and have sence rewired most of my house. Just be careful & good luck.

Hey guys I'm just posting an update for anyone that's interested. (Bill or mod, if I'm not allowed to do this delete it.)

4 switches have been replaced, 3 were double-lugged on the hots, 1 was just old (1955 Leviton-Made in USA!) and didn't work. I only have 2 more "carpenter" (handyman works better) specials to inspect/replace.

3 old-don't hold receptacles have been replaced, 2 with the appropriate ungrounded models, 1 with a GFCI.

Five switches and recepts have had their counter-clockwise wires fixed.

Oh, and today while replacing a light switch (which I forgot to mark off the three cables to where they go...) I wound up ripping down a chandalier to fix a hot-neutral reversal. That mess took a good two hours to find/troubleshoot, after which I relaxed with a medium pizza and 2 liter of Pepsi from Parkway Pizza. smile

Tomorrow's agenda, blank off an old, now unused fireplace switch while looking for more double-lugs.

After that? Going to the township to pull a permit for a new bedroom wall A/C, new ceiling fan, and a garage rewire!

Oh, and what I said earlier about 14/2 on a 20amp circuit, that is confirmed. IT will be fixed, eventually, it's only item #4001 on a 4000 item list. wink

That's it it's nap time,
Happy Independence Day to everyone in the U.S,
Ian A.

Last edited by Theelectrikid; 07/04/07 12:37 AM.

P
Updates are always welcome Ian. smile It's good to hear that bad things we've seen here are getting fixed.

I just found and uploaded some more pics from our home inspection to the ECN photo site, and here they are.

Old 1-15 switch/receptacle combo.
[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

The downstairs 9X12 bedroom has four receptacles like this, and they can't even be removed because of that paneling!

Cut seal on the meter.

Also, the closet in the first pic (with the dangling RG-59 and asbestos floors) is slated for asbestos abatement because of that floor...

Ian A.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard