ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#111596 01/08/07 12:27 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I think ya’ll have corrupted me! I saw this while picking up Mom’s new dishwasher. I didn’t have my camera, so I made a second trip to get some shots!

- JohnJ0906
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#111597 01/08/07 01:15 PM
C
Is this near the coast or a high humidity region? Quite a lot of rust there. Almost looks like black gas pipe.

What does it feed?

#111598 01/08/07 01:59 PM
H
From the looks of it, that security camera off to the right.

Cliff
#111599 01/08/07 02:22 PM
C
Now that you mentioned it, those other wires acting as a strain-relief look like they would be a video feed. I can't tell if they come out of the top of the box or run behind it.

#111600 01/08/07 05:24 PM
J
I didn't see those wires anywhere besides the top of the box, so I don't think they were tucked behind the conduit. This building is over 30 years old, so this could very well be that old, and Maryland is a high humidity region duing the summer.

#111601 01/08/07 08:40 PM
H
I believe that those wires are indeed for the camera. Seeing as how it's a dome camera, one of the cables delivers the video signal back to the security office, and the other handles camera movement (rotation, etc).

Cliff
#111602 01/08/07 10:34 PM
E
Not that it's correctly-done, but I agree that the gray and black wires look like camera wiring. Of course, the fact that an orange extension cord is connected like that, with no in-use cover, in an area with heavy sunlight is the bigger issue.

I'll bet that is a cheapo import extension cord (most colored ones are). There's probably 50 feet of it coiled up on the roof, sitting in puddles, exposed to maximum UV and probably sun bleached/cracked all over it's length by now. I am also confident that the receptacle isn't GFI protected, I mean this installation would have to be plagued with nuisance tripping if it was.

I am sure that their excuse for this will be one of the following:

"Yes, we know. It hasn't been approved to be done correctly until our next budget comes around";

"The guy who did it said he would come back to do it right but never did";

"The maintenance department is working on it";

"Maintenance says that they are waiting for special-order parts";

"It's so high up, nobody can get shocked from it way up there";

"What's wrong with it? It is a grounded extension cord".

[This message has been edited by EV607797 (edited 01-08-2007).]

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
#111603 01/09/07 06:46 AM
J
It is possible that it is camera wires. What grabbed my attention at first was the cord that looked as if it had been there for years. Its a little hard to see clearly from the ground, its about 25' up, behind a fence. As a matter of fact, I would have SWORN I saw a green wrapped up in that jumble, until I took the photo and blew it up some

#111604 01/09/07 02:05 PM
C
Not that it's correctly-done, but I agree that the gray and black wires look like camera wiring. Of course, the fact that an orange extension cord is connected like that, with no in-use cover, in an area with heavy sunlight is the bigger issue.
I'll bet that is a cheapo import extension cord (most colored ones are). There's probably 50 feet of it coiled up on the roof, sitting in puddles, exposed to maximum UV and probably sun bleached/cracked all over it's length by now. I am also confident that the receptacle isn't GFI protected, I mean this installation would have to be plagued with nuisance tripping if it was.

I am sure that their excuse for this will be one of the following:

"Yes, we know. It hasn't been approved to be done correctly until our next budget comes around";

"The guy who did it said he would come back to do it right but never did";

"The maintenance department is working on it";

"Maintenance says that they are waiting for special-order parts";

"It's so high up, nobody can get shocked from it way up there";

"What's wrong with it? It is a grounded extension cord".

[This message has been edited by EV607797 (edited 01-08-2007).]

The one I hear all time that wasn't mentioned

"But sir, it's only temporary"

Link Copied to Clipboard