ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
I was reviewing my pictures, when it occurred to me thet these three panels have a lot in common.

The panels are from three different businesses, where a change in tenant led to my being called in to sort things out. I might even have posted these, as part of different threads, to highlight various issues.

But ... look at the common practice of cables (different types) entering the panels without benefit of any fitting. Do you think these are works of the same "artist?"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Real quality! Is that (orange & yellow) flex cord??
Lack of ground bars?? (Sub-Panels??)
Nice 'extra' touch running the grd conductor in front of the cb's to hold them in??

John

John
Cat Servant
HotLine, the bottom panel is from I job I almost walked away from maybe two years ago.

In the bottom pic, the orange cord is an extension cord used to power a 30A water heater. The Yellow is new Romex, run through a HUGE PVC pipe. The black is large gauge Romex, used for an air compressor; it is run alongside a pottery kiln.
(Ultimately, I got this tenant shut down and evicted).

In the top pic, the yellow cord was some sort of SE or Romex ... I didn't look that close at it ... that was used to power a welding receptacle.

Do you think these are works of the same "artist?"

If they are, he sure gets around a lot.

Small industrial units are the playground for the hack or the DIY tenants themselves. Many of these tenants are bottomfeeders, and the idea of hiring a real electrician to do their work for them just runs contrary to their nature.
Cord is the weapon of choice. Other favorites are romex or romex inside of flex and 14/2 MC cable.
I often have to make units like these leaseable after a tenant moveout. The number of KO seals, cover plates and CB filler plates I go through is staggering.

In the top pic, there's a white on the Bryant MH-T 1515 in Ckt #3 position... Did someone attempt to get 240V from a twin? [Linked Image]

Scott, you're certainly right on the industrial units... I always dreaded getting calls to those things, especially the multitudes of them in south Santa Ana (think Edinger Ave/Grand Ave area [Linked Image] )

The one cardinal sin here.
Putting any cable into a panel without a bushing.
The word slack doesn't even cover it. [Linked Image]
Second sin, painting it to look like EMT when it wouldn't fool the nearest clown.
Good Lord!.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-31-2006).]

T
It looks like the yellow cable in the top picture is 10/3 ST, and the black cable in the second picture is 12/3 or 10/3 ST or SO.

It dosen't look like the yellow cable was painted to disquise it, but rather that the whole wall/panel was sprayed grey.

Is it just me or is there no white wire coming into the panel from the NEMA 5-15 outlet (GFI?) under the panel in the 1st pic? [Linked Image] I'm with techie on the paint thing.. I think someone got a paint sprayer and decided to have some fun [Linked Image]

Cat Servant
Excellent catch, Lotzahell! Yup, the receptacle used a red whire for the 'neutral.'

Every time I think standards can't possibly get lower, along comes something to correct me. It's almost like these guys compete with each other ... "how can I do it worse/"

Link Copied to Clipboard