ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#111488 12/13/06 07:40 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
My day to day findings working in a hospital...

Here's a 255A 120/208v panel with a 2pole 50A breaker in a hospital. Good thing it was not recently used.

Enjoy,
-kcselectrician
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
but it's a siemans breaker...it's gotta work in the panel...

N
Buss looks nicely overheated around those screws...

E
"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work".

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Come to think of it... I've noticed the hospital electricians seemed to be slippin over here too.... Lots of missing cover plates, a ground pin busted off in an outlet (likely the janitor [Linked Image] ) GFCI's with the reset buttons looking like someone tried to reset them with an icepick...

I think I remember reading someplace on here about an EC that was doing a renov on a hospital and had hooked 480V (!) to a cheapo NEMA 5-15 outlet... the clowns left it installed after they'd finished and a janitor plugged his vacuum into it and received some pretty nasty burns as the whole works exploded! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

R
Whats SUPPOSED to be in that panel breaker wise??? Looks like something that would be common and readily availible to me like a Cutler, G.E or Westinghouse perhaps?...

A.D

Cat Servant
That maker - is it Cutler-Hammer?- makes two kinds of "bolt in" breakers. The more common sort has the bolt-in tab exiting from the usual place (bottom corner); this piece has a ben in it.
The breaker shown is, I believe, an older style, which has the busses raised, so the tabs you see actually contact them.

I've used both types here, but either is so rare all I can be sure of is that they're not "Square D" [Linked Image] .

The breaker is an ITE.
The screws are screwed into the wrong hole on the bus to boot! Those holes are for the left column of breakers. [Linked Image]

I think the panel is GE

K
GE panel 42 breaker 225A frame. Uses THQB breakers, this one actually a 2p/50A type BQ. Contractor thought it would be a great idea to hack it up and install it as you see here. I guess 40 bucks (for a new breaker) is much too expensive for the country's biggest HMO.

From what I gather, at one time it was used to feed a compact welder.

More to come....

[This message has been edited by kcselectrician (edited 12-14-2006).]

[This message has been edited by kcselectrician (edited 12-15-2006).]

Broom Pusher and
That Breaker (Siemens BQ) is what's known as a "Feed-Thru" or "Lug-In/Lug-Out" type Breaker.

It's typically used for Tapped Circuits on Buss Duct, Switches in MCCs, and when an Enclosed Circuit Breaker type Switch is used (like for a Disconnecting Means).

As far as I know ("AFAIK"), they are not intended to be used in Panelboards, as they do not line up correctly on the Buss kit (proof being provided by the image above).

The Siemens "BQ" Series Breaker, is sometimes mistaken for the Siemens "BL" Series, which IS a Panelboard type Bolt-On Breaker.

If anyone ever has to add Branch Circuit Breakers in a Siemens P1/P2/P3 Panelboard for 240V maximum Circuits, be sure to verify the Breaker _IS_ one of the "BL" Series (BL = 10KAIR, BLH = 22KAIR, HBL = 65KAIR), before you leave the Supply House!

The BL's will have the Buss Terminations at the lowest point on the Frame, plus the terminals are Buss Aligned (have an offset).

The "BQ" Series (BQ = 10KAIR, BQH = 22KAIR, HBQ = 65KAIR) has "Straight" Load-Side Terminals coming out of the center of the Frame.

Nevertheless, I am stunned that someone would install the Frame as shown in the image!
[Linked Image]

Scott35

p.s. Just noticed the Installer clipped the barriers at the Line Side Terminals!
Whadda Clown!!!

S.E.T.

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 12-16-2006).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard