ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 156 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
If I recall correctly a Siemens "BQ" is the correct replacement of an older Cutler Hammer or Westinghouse Breaker.

No doubt it can also be used as a feed thru. Many breakers can be used as feed thru with the proper mounting kit. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

N
A "BQ" breaker was used on ITE panelboards up untill about 1992, then Siemens redesigned their panelboards to use the then new "BL" low tab breaker cat.# TC1Q1 lugs are used for lug in applications.

I was just thinking I'd used these BQ breakers in panels before (I think they were old Westinghouse 3phase 120/208V panels)... but nothing like the one pictured! [Linked Image]

BTW, the bus discoloration looks like it's from the manufacturing process, not necessarily the screws (Im not doubting 50A on a 8/32nd wouldnt heat up quite nicely either!)

Y
I ran across one of these BQ panelboards in a church a couple of months ago. I had arrived with a BL breaker in hand, took off the deadfront, and surprise!

Luckily, there were some spares in there.

W
Whoever used the long screws to install those breakers could have used some carefully cut short lengths of small sized copper pipe as sleeves around the screws. Long enough to bridge the entire length of the gap. That would give better mechanical support and pass current better. But it's still not code, so I wouldn't do it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard